Part one: Awakening

"W-where am I?" I said as I looked at the endless black void ahead of me "It's dark." "There's no warmth but it's not cold either." "I feel like I'm suffocating... There's no air but I can still breathe." "What is this?"

SYSTEM: WELCOME TO THE HUNTER X HUNTER GAMING EXPERIENCE. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE? Yes/No (*disclaimer*: choosing 'no' will result in your permanent death)

I jolted at the sudden appearance of the blue box that appeared in front of me. "What is this?" "Hunter X Hunter? That name brings back memories." I said in a questioning tone, and after a good few minutes of chin rubbing i suddenly recalled memories of me watching an anime with the same name. Excitement grew quickly on my face "Oh my god I remember now!" I said aloud "Hunter X Hunter! I've watched every single episode." "Haha good times" 

After a minute of reminiscing I returned to the situation at hand "Only my memories of specifically that anime had come back and I still haven't regained my memories or gained any information as to why I was in this place" "Wait. Why don't I try asking the system where I am?"

"Hey! System!" "Where am I and what happened to my memories!" I screamed into the void, hoping to get a reply from this mysterious system.

Suddenly a new blue box popped up:

YOU ARE CURRENTLY INSIDE OF THE HUNTER X HUNTER GAMING EXPERIENCE. FOR IMMERSIVE PURPOSES, ONLY RELEVANT MEMORIES HAVE BEEN RETAINED. 

IRRELEVANT INFORMATION, SUCH AS YOUR REAL NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, ADDRESS , SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ETC. HAVE BEEN WIPED. THAT WAY YOU WILL HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING *ANYTHING* ABOUT YOUR PAST LIFE.  (BY THE WAY  I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT YOU HAVE DIED AND HAVE BEEN REINCARNATED INTO THE HUNTER X HUNTER GAMING EXPERIENCE)

"I-I'm dead? I stuttered as a wave of extremely important information had slapped me right in the face. "H-how could this happen" "How did  this happen" "Did I have any loved ones. Is there somebody who's missing me right now?"

Upon a few moments of pondering these questions, a part of me said that this worrying was futile, that it didn't matter if I couldnt even remember the faces or names of these so-called 'loved ones'. 

And that there was a chance that I was just a random loner that died in a car accident or something. So, after some mental meditation I regained my composure and looked again at the first message from the 'system'.

SYSTEM: WELCOME TO THE HUNTER X HUNTER GAMING EXPERIENCE. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE? Yes/No (*disclaimer*: choosing 'no' will result in your permanent death)

Well, what option did I have? if choosing 'no' meant my death, then there was only one option left: To leave it all behind and enter the world of hunters. Hesitantly, I hovered over 'yes' with my index finger, my hand trembling slightly at the madness of my current predicament. 

Slightly cursing under my breath, I pressed the option and closed my eyes, expecting to get warped into a whole new world. Instead however, I was met by another blue box- another message from the system.

SYSTEM: WOULD YOU LIKE TO CUSTOMISE YOUR CHARACTER? Yes/No (*disclaimer*): Choosing 'no' will make you spawn into the HUNTER X HUNTER GAMING EXPERIENCE as a bodiless avatar that cannot interact with anyone nor anything  

With a long sigh, I selected 'yes'. "I'm gonna have to get used to this."

Suddenly, a large full-body mirror was placed in front of me and what I presumed to be the base avatar was seen in the reflection. "So this is the character customisation screen eh?" "A bit shabby but ok."