Chapter Six

Ally

I haven't seen the girls since our coffee date. With university and work, these last two weeks have been nothing short of a stressful whirlwind.
I exhale loudly as I dramatically throw myself onto Madalynn's bed. I bury my head in her aqua doona cover. It's my favourite one of hers because it reminds me of the ocean. When we turned 17, and Maddie got her license a few days later, our first road trip was to the beach.

"Come on, everyone is going to be there," Maddie whines holding silver and black dress against her pale flawless skin. She's standing in front of a floor length mirror, moving her body side to side to get a bet better angle in the mirror. She looks damn amazing. Her furrowed brow tells me she doesn't see what I do.

"Don't you want to see how everyone's turned out?" Maddie pushes. Her finger raking through her messy hair.

She's playing on my curious streak, it's my weakness and we both know it.
The party is kind of an informal high school reunion. Out of our girl group - only Maddie, Vee and I went to high school together. I haven't seen Vee in so long it makes my heart hurt, and the biggest card Maddie could play to get me to come tonight is to see Vee.
Our other girls are invited too - despite them not being part of the real 'reunion'.
Thank you plus ones.

I met Karlie working in retail in high school, and she's been part of our group ever since. Then, the four of us met Bridget on Karlie's 18th. Classic drunk girls in club bathroom, making friends. Best friends. People call it cliché, but most of the time something's a cliché because more often than not it's true.

"Think of Vee...." Maddie pleads, playing me, just as I knew she would.

I groan, rolling my eyes. She knows she's already won.
"I have nothing to wear," I sulk, sitting up from the bed.
"That we can fix," excitement laces her voice as she pulls a tight, red dress from her closet.

Looking at this dress, I know I'm in trouble.