Chapter Twenty Three

Logan

The first thing I notice when I wake up is that my chest is warm and my arm is dead. But it is totally worth it as I'm reminded that she is laying in my arms. I am smiling like a comlete idiot. Sitting up a little, I'm able to observe her sleeping form and I revel in the moment.

"Stop looking at me!" Ally had commanded last night. I'd asked her why would I? She's beautiful. Turning an amusing shade of pink, she'd buried her head in my chest to get away from my gaze.

Now her brown hair is a tangled mess, splayed around her face and her mouth is open, just a little. I smirk and run my fingers across her lips. She stirs at my touch and wriggles back into me.

Jeez  that is not good. Now we are all up.

Suddenly her eyes open, and she blinks several times. I know the exact moment when she realizes where she is – in my arms, because her whole body goes rigid.

"Morning," I whisper in her ear, and goosebumps immediately rise up on her arms.

She's quiet for a moment, still not fully awake, before she mumbles a swift 'good morning' and immediately lifts herself up off of the couch.

"I'm sorry, I um shouldn't have, I'm sorry.. is your arm okay?" She's facing away from me as she runs a hand through her hair, trying to comb through the birds nest that is her hair.

When she turns around, her eyes widen and she immediately averts her eyes. Her reaction to my very evident erection is nothing short of amusing.

"What are you up to today?" I grin.

—————
Andrew and I spend the day fixing my project car. We want to get it up and running before the next season of drifting starts up but we've got a lot of work ahead of us. 
Ally sits close by on an oil can reading a book. I'd thought for sure she'd be bored, but she doesn't seem to be. Her fingers flip through pages faster than I can comprehend. 
She brings us a drink several times, taking it upon herself to fill our cups when she notices they are empty.  At one point I catch her staring at me, but she pretends she's looking past my shoulder. She seems interested about the car though, asking questions every now and then. Surprisingly I don't find it annoying. It's kind of nice to know more about something than her.

After what is probably her 30th question, I ask her if she wants to have a go at adjusting the valves. But she shakes her head and laughs. "I'll leave it to the experts."

I can't help but grin at the half compliment. Andrew notices and shakes his head. I throw the dirty, oil stained rag - hard, right at his face.  The look of pure disgust that takes over his features makes me laugh. Ally looks back and forth between us, an amused smile on her lips.

The song "What Becomes of Us" by Hilltop Hoods suddenly fills the air as Ally scrambles through the bag beside her feet. She has to remove not one, but two books before she finds her phone. I'm once again surprised by her  like of decent music.

"Who sets their ring tone to an actual song these days?" I think aloud, and she pokes her tongue at me before glancing at her phone screen.

"I think the last time I did that was in Grade 9," Andy chimes in from the other side of the car.

But I don't take my gaze off her, so I see her face the moment her eyes connect with the screen, the change in her demeanor is immediate. Her phone pings again, and then a third time less than 10 seconds later. I watch as her face pinches together, like she's in pain. As her eyes scan the message, they begin to tear up. I briefly wonder whether it's Bridget being a bitch - has she somehow found out we are together? I highly doubt Ally would have told her...

Who has made her feel this way?

I'm annoyed when Andy speaks up before I'm able to, "Ally are you okay?"

She doesn't take her eyes off the phone as she mumbles,  "Yea, yea, I'm fine. I've got to go."

Before I, or even Andy can react, she's gone. Andy and I meet eyes across the hood.

What was that?