Chapter Twenty Six

Logan

I'm nervous. I can't believe I'm even admitting that to myself. It's not that I'm worried about seeing Bridget. I'm worried about Ally. We haven't really talked about how everything went down. They way we got together.

Despite the fact it's only been two weeks since I turned up at her work, it feels like so much longer. Cliché as fuck, but it's true. She's managed to make me feels things I haven't in a long time, if ever.

I don't want to leave this little bubble we've been in, just her and I (and sometimes Andrew when he tags along). I don't want to go back to reality. Back to people and their judgmental opinions that I could give less than a fuck about. But I don't know if she will care. I don't know what reality looks like with Ally in my life. But it can't be bad, can it?

Madalynn called yesterday. She had begged Ally to come to this party tonight, and Ally, being Ally, couldn't say no. Effectively bursting our bubble.
What I am worried about is her friends worming their way into that beautiful head of hers, filling it with bullshit and lies. I know what they'll say. I hate the way they seem to think they know me.
Her friends didn't like me when I was with Bridget, so they certainly won't like me – the piece of shit, supposed drug addict - being with sweet, soft, kind Ally.
I can tell she's nervous to. She's fixed her hair ten times now. Honestly I can't see any difference, but I smile in what I hope is an encouraging manner.
As if her friends are going to comment on how hot she looks, rather than the fact she's with her ex friend's, dead shit ex-boyfriend. But I cannot deny she does look fucking stunning.
Despite everything, I wonder how I got this lucky - to have a girl like her.... no, not like her, actually her. Her being with someone like me is hard to fathom.

As we walk up to the house, I feel Ally tense beside me. I can almost see the stream of persistent thoughts running through her brain. I grab her hand and stroke my thumb across her soft skin.
She gives a soft smile. I wish she'd say 'let's forget this', and we could go home. She could pick a movie, and I'd happily let her because I'd have absolutely no intention of watching it. Instead I would watch the way her eyes flutter shut as I touch her, running a single finger up her leg... distracting her from the movie before we are even five minutes in. Just like last night.

But that doesn't happen, instead I follow her inside the house.

"I thought you'd died!"  Maddie yells over the music, flinging her arms around Ally.
Ally pulls her hand from mine to embrace her friend. I miss the contact immediately.
When Maddie leans back her eyes rest on me. I wonder if there's a polite way to tell her I don't care what she thinks. About me. About me and Ally. About anything.

"Hey Logan," she says, and the smile that graces her lips isn't a fake one. Suddenly I like her a bit more.
I hear Ally let out a breath I didn't realise she'd been holding.

"You're here!" another voice yells from behind us. Karlie navigates cautiously through the bodies so not to spill her drink.

"Beautiful Ally," she nods, greeting us, "and devil's spawn." 

I see Ally and Maddie grin at each other, before Ally turns her eyes to me. If I don't look concerned – it's because I'm not. I give Ally a wink. Nothing anyone could say would make me feel bad about us being together.

"Let's put these drinks in the fridge," I say gesturing to the bags I'm holding.
She nods, then promises Maddie, "I'll come find you soon."
I grab her hand again so she doesn't get lost in the in the crowd as take charge and navigate through the intoxicated bodies.
When we walk into the kitchen it is already packed. Boys standing in between the tanned limbs of girls sitting on counter tops. Empty glass bottles are already over flowing in the bins. Bottles and bottles of straight liquor cover what's left of the counters.
Suddenly a voice booms about them all.