~~Level Thirteen~~

AN: Though the vampire apocalypse world used here is self-made it was heavily inspired by Julie Kagawa's Immortal Blood series, a somewhat generic series of romance novels that I read for fun once because she wrote a good series about fey. Like, the murdery English ones that hunted humans for sport. Besides the Twilight type of teen romance it was pretty good. I liked the classic vibes from it and the Rick Riordan-esque modern mythology.

The next world isn't Worm, by the way, if you were thinking that mentioning it was me dropping a hint or something. I tried to make a chapter based around Worm… twice. I dropped both drafts and made something else since it just didn't want to be written.

[|||| =LEVEL 13= ||||]

"So where do you want to go first?" I asked Esdeath, cooking up breakfast burritos for my girlfriends, though Ophis and Kuroka were still sleeping. It turned out that Esdeath was an early riser.

"Hm… I don't truly care so long as I can fight. I would appreciate it if you could provide some advice on how to get stronger as well." She was currently reclining on one of the dining chairs that I and the others only rarely used. Kuroka's apartment didn't have a dining set so we just ate on the couch there and the habit stuck.

"Well I've been thinking about going to a world I've designated as Worm. I take most of my selection of worlds from pieces of fiction I read or see and look for a world with similar functioning rules and a matching setting."

"You draw your worlds to travel to from stories?" Esdeath seemed fascinated by this. "Is that how you came to my world?"

"No. I looked into the greater void and requested a world that would amuse me. I appeared a little southeast of the palace, which is when I broke in. Now that was fun." I smiled at the memory as I tossed a few tortillas in the microwave.

"Hm. And what of this Worm world?"

"It's a… you know I should get you caught up on the popular culture of this world. It's where I've collected most of my destinations. It's a somewhat dark world, dystopian like yours with a dysfunctional government, but it's not quite corruption that's bringing it down. See, an outside entity - a world traveller in a different sense than I - entered the world and spread it's power through the world and it's connected worlds. People with strange abilities appeared after experiencing trauma. The first few went out to fight crime and the trend caught on with some of them aiming for something outside the law and others trying to enforce it either as a vigilante or with government sanction."

"Fascinating." She said, seeming to mean it.

"A whole subculture appeared from the trend and the people with powers, which are called capes for short. Customs like getting a unique mode of dress, acting heroic or comedic in line with some stereotypes, and the media of that world - including something called the internet which I need to teach you about - became ridden with capes."

"Again, fascinating, but how strong are they?" This prompted an eye roll from me.

"It varies. Some of the strongest are people like a man who acts under the monicker of Legend. He can turn into light and shoot beams that do a variety of things such as freezing, burning, exploding, disintegrating, and more. Some of the weakest are normal humans, untrained civilians, who can shoot a blast of sound or spit acid or throw a little lightning. They're the majority, though due to the nature of the powers there are some people who are outliers. They can simulate timelines or build teigu-like weapons, though that doesn't mean they can use them."