~~Level Twenty One~~

AN: It's late but here. In other news from my inability to keep a F$% ing schedule I've got a vague point of where I want to end this series. I don't want it to be over 250k is my general goal. I'm charting out some chapters but no plan survives contact with the enemy. I am the enemy. My writing will not survive.

[|||| =LEVEL 21= ||||]

Mount Olympus was one of those magical sites that was absolutely stuffed with magic. As I climbed it I actually felt a little choked by the ambient mana. I normally kept the house a little magically barren for Ophis so such a change was a bit much for me. I had to take a break while looking down over the national park to get used to the energy. I even got the opportunity for a small picnic.

Obviously being such a public place, travellers climbed Mount Olympus all the time for photos, outings, or just the memories. There was an enchantment over the whole part that kept the higher parts of the mountain out of mortal eyes. When you thought you were at the peak you were only really three quarters of the way up. For me and other magicians powerful enough the enchantment just slid right off.

And as I climbed higher and higher I started to see how the mountain bled into a city. It started with marbling and some small houses, though they were more like villas, really. I saw a few pretty women, some human-ish and some clearly nonhuman; dryads, nymphs, satyrs, and a naiad. A few uses of observe revealed how the humans were all descendents of the greek gods, sometimes distantly.

It was all very… exclusive. I felt a little bit like an outsider by how some of the people looked at me. A few who recognized me were quick to whisper with their neighbors. I didn't like the attention. I would have to disguise myself next time if I wanted to tour the city in peace.

Higher up there were less villas and more infrastructure. There was a lot more marble and glass than a normal city and quite a lot of random murals on walls (marble, of course. The Greeks seemed to love that) but overall the city seemed pretty normal. I saw a satyr in a business suit rushing to a meeting, a coffee shop with a half devil flirting with a customer, teens smoking on a corner, and even a tram. It was all modern and updated, kind of like a strange reflection of the Percy Jackson series. A true modern magical society. Some parts of it could be improved - they didn't need power lines when magical teleportation was commonplace - but I liked it for the most part.

After two hours of wandering the city I was eating some fruit and relaxing near a playground. I wasn't in a rush to go anywhere.

"Back off Polyphemus! My majesty belongs to the people of Greece!" one lean kid yelled. He waved a stick menacingly. The other kid, who only had one eye, laughed mockingly.

"Ah, poor silly Odysseus! You landed on my island! That makes you my food!"

"I granted you xenia!"

"… What's that?" The one-eyed kid looked confused.

"Uh dad explained it yesterday. It means like… guest rights. Giving gifts and stuff as thanks for hospitaliby… hospitality." The hero explained, scowling briefly as he mispronounced a word.

"Hah! As if I would respect the rights of some mere mortal! You owe me ten times the offerings provided to even be able to look upon my visage!" The other kid boasted. One other girl noticed the two being silly from some monkey bars at that point.

"Polyphemus didn't know Odysseus' name!" she called. "Odysseus told him his name was Nobody!"

"Shutup, Sam!" the kid playing Odysseus said, annoyed. "We're trying to play Odyssey!"