A confession

(Mya's POV)

Griff and I ran hand by hand deeper into the Forrest. The branches reached out to grab us but I didn't care, I just needed to get away from the horrid man that ruined my life. When both of us were too tired to run, we found a place up in the trees and settled down for the night. We watched the sky go from a pretty sunset to the dark night sky filled with twinkling little stars.

"Mia? Why were we running?" Griff turned his head to face me as I lift my head off his shoulders. I pulled my legs up to my knees and turned the other direction.

"I don't want to talk about it, " I mumbled loud enough for him to hear. The cold air blew past us making me shiver. Griff's arms wrapped around me like a blanket, protecting me from the wind.

"Please?" He asked giving me the puppy dog eyes. At some point, I gave in.

"It's my dad," I whispered as a single tear slipped out.

"What?" Griff asked clearly confused.

"The man on the phone, the whole reason why we're sleeping in a tree, it's all my dad," I whispered. Griff's soft words of encouragement filled my ears but it didn't make me feel any better.

"Hey, at least you have parents," Griff tried to reason with me.

"But that's the problem Griff! I know my mom is dead! She died of breast cancer. And I also know my dad is a horrible man who does horrible things to me. Before this week, I hadn't seen the sun for almost 2 months! But with you not having parents, it gives you that hope that your parents are still good. That maybe you were kidnapped as a baby and they're out there looking for you! Don't you see the difference Griff?!" I whisper shouted before bursting into silent tears. Griff pulled me closer to him letting me cry into his chest.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know," he whispered in my ear.

"MYA!!!! GRIFF!!!" The sound of Zuri yelling filled our ears as we started to climb down the tree.

"WE'RE OVER HERE!!!" Griff yelled back as Zuri, Tiffany and Jorge came running towards us.

"You might want to see this," Zuri told me with wide eyes.