Chapter 13

It is a fine Saturday and I am at AK and Aisha's home for brunch. Aisha loves hosting people and she is a great cook, therefore, she always organizes brunch that ends up being lunch and all the guest will still be there till dinner time. It is always a good time. AbdulJalal happens to be at today's brunch and somehow the sit assigned to him was next to mine. I haven't seen him since after the wedding till today. I don't know if it is because I sat close to him today but for the first time I noticed he has really nice fingernails.

It was a good hang out, with so much to eat, a lot of jokes. I laughed so hard that my stomach started aching. AbdulJalal is effortlessly funny and then Ak's brother is also really funny, they were a mess. The crowd had dispersed after a few hours of good food, good company and a lot of laughter, leaving the house owners, AbdulJalal, I and Aisha's neighbour.

"OMG! You are 'the wasp' on twitter," he clapped with a laugh.

"No, I am not," I kept a straight face.

"Salima you are. I remember seeing the reference you just made on her timeline today," he insisted.

"So, what if I have her on my timeline too?" I rolled my eyes.

"No, I insist you are 'the wasp'."

"What is so special about 'the wasp'," asked Aisha from where she sat in between AK's legs in their sitting room.

"So, it is this account that thrives on slandering men. She is very funny, honest and brutal. What social media people will call an angry feminist. On days she is not fighting for women's right, she is slandering men in the funniest way you can," he finished with a laugh.

"The moment you mentioned men being slandered, then you didn't have to explain more. It is definitely Salima," Aisha added with a laugh.

"Some things don't change, that is why you have been single for long." Said AK.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, trying so hard not to smile.

"I have a question though, what dirty did men do to you? Your profile says men deserve endless wickedness," asked AbdulJalal.

"I said I am not 'the wasp'."

"Really, just own it with your chest? Abi you are not proud of yourself?" he pushed.

"Okay, fine that is my account. But ask yourself, don't men deserve endless wickedness, with the way y'all constantly move mad?" I asked while sipping my tea.

"When you say endless wickedness, what do you mean?"

" I don't know, any form wickedness comes, it should be dished out to men," I shrugged.

"Don't take her serious AbdulJalal, she is always saying this nonsense. Salima I keep telling you not everyone will understand your sarcasm," added AK.

"And that is why I am not married, abi?" I completed it for him.

Everyone busted out laughing.

"This marriage thing doesn't annoy me sef. Na single I single, I no kill person. All of you that want to drink Panadol on top my headache, will be fine after it wears out." I rolled my eyes.

"I feel like saying men deserve endless wickedness or saying things that massage the ego of men is not a yardstick to getting a man. Everyone has what appeals to them," mentioned AbdulJalal.

"Thank you better person, and he doesn't have two heads," I looked at AK pointedly.

"Or maybe it is because he likes you," added Aisha's neighbour that has been a quiet spectator to all that exchange.

The room went completely quiet after what she said.

"Explain this your mantra of endless wickedness more, I am interested in knowing more," she added, trying to dilute the awkwardness in the room.

"That statement is just a metaphor for men deserve whatever they give? So, if your man is dishing you peace of mind, then reciprocate. If he is stressing you and your toxic self doesn't want to leave him then, by all means, stress him too.

Everyone laughed and the conversation took a different direction. While my mind was stuck analyzing what that woman said. First, it was AK implying that he comes to our office frequently because of someone, then Aisha making my seat close to his and then this woman that doesn't even know us, implying he likes me. I don't like this. I need to ask Bimbo about her and AbdulJalal next as soon as possible.

Things have been crazy at work and I haven't even had time to chit chat with Bimbo. It also turns out to be her last week at the firm.

After a meeting with AK, I came in to see her having a phone call and laughing endlessly.

"Who is making you laugh this much," I asked after she ended the call.

"It is AbdulJalal," she replied.

"So, are you guys together now?" I asked in a teasing manner.

"Nope, I shot my shot but it missed. He said he doesn't see me beyond a little sister and apologized if his actions sent mixed signals to me." She said exasperatedly.

"Ouch, that must have hurt badly," I sympathized.

"Kind of but it is what it is. I mean if we are meant to be he can't fight it and if we are not meant to be I can't force it," she shrugged.

"So, what does that mean? Would you continue pursuing him or you would move on?"

"Still trying to decide. I mean he is not dating anyone, so, I wonder what the problem is."

"You never know with this men," I shrugged.

In the pit of my stomach is a feeling of relief that Bimbo and AbdulJalal are not together.

I picked my phone and went to the editing studio to help the editors, so we can meet the deadline. Also to avoid saying something I will regret later.

If I can blow my own trumpet, one of the things I love about myself is how versatile my skills are. Creative director title aside, I can write a script, be a camera person, be in charge of sound and edit footages. It just makes my life easy and helps me deal with every worker that decides to move mad, no one can hold me ransom because they think they are irreplaceable.