Chapter 20

Cape Verde was everything I expected and more, I had the best time there and a well-needed rest. I feel like my mind and body is ready to take on my new job.

On Bimbo, I decided to ignore her because there is no reason going back and forth with a senseless person. Women in their early 20's think having a man is a big trophy and those in their 30's don't have the range. The thing makes me laugh because they forget that life is turn by turn and a stupid man is a stupid man, whether you are in your 30's or your 20's the one that wants to treat you right will do right by you and nothing will stop the foolish one from disgracing you.

I don't blame her sha, I blame myself for being too friendly and even speaking to AK when she asked. I should have minded my business, because this girl that supposedly respected me, is now dishing me insults on top man.

"Salima you have suffered," I mused.

However, I will be talking with AbdulJalal, I need to understand how this dynamic will play out. Is he still friends with her or whatever, does he plan to continue being her brother? How am I going to be accommodated without being disrespected in all of this? If not busybody sef, who sent him to be over familiar with her? Come for a meeting, he went to do oversabi and be friendly with the intern taking notes, nonsense.

My first two months at work was kind of slow but things have picked up recently. We have a story idea and we just secured funding last week. Shout out to marketers, it is so hard convincing people to part away with their money but I conquered and convinced three big companies to sponsor the film. This film involves the actors spending at least three months in Sokoto, which is the setting of the story before the start of production. My superiors initially wanted us to get actors familiar with Sokoto, so, we don't have to spend money sending actors to immerse in a culture. However, my goal is to be able to tell Northern stories that everyone can enjoy irrespective of where you come from and the actors that have been exposed to the culture just didn't do it for me. Additionally, I will be taking the scriptwriters for a retreat next week, so, nothing affects their writing process. It is my first production and I am committed to giving my best, even if it means getting more sponsors.

"AbdulJalal, you kept me waiting for 20 minutes, am I toasting you?" I asked when he slipped into the car.

"Abeg, after neglecting me for a long time, I am entitled to do shakara," he replied and tried to roll his eyes.

"Aww baby, I said I am sorry. Looking for money is not easy, besides, you have been busy too," I smiled while looking at him.

It has been a busy couple of weeks for us and I haven't seen him in two weeks. Woke up today and made up my mind to spend time with him instead of sleeping and getting the rest I deserve, it is a Sunday. I didn't realize I missed him that much till he slipped into my car. It is taking every ounce of self-control in me to not squeeze him into a hug sha. God save me, I prayed quietly. The physical attraction between this man and I is crazy. As Muslims, we are not supposed to have any physical contact until we are married. We try to stick to that rule 80% of the time, but sometimes we just slip and lose control.

"Let's go have fun," I said while starting the car.

"This is for you," he passed me a paper bag.

"Okay, " I said sounding surprised and went ahead to open the bag as opposed to starting the car.

The bag had a card and a jewellery box in it.

"Thank you," I smiled sheepishly.

"You haven't even opened it," he laughed.

"Doesn't matter, it is from you," I shrugged while trying to untie the ribbon on the box.

"You should read the card first," he suggested

I picked up the card and it read, "a piece of infinity jewellery stands for eternity, it stands for empowerment and everlasting love. I love how empowered you are and how you work hard to empower people around you, I hope what we have lasts for eternity and blossom into an everlasting love Lee."

"Jay, you are too sweet, osheey Mr Romantic," I laughed.

"You are a mess," he said.

"It is so beautiful, thank you so much."

The gift was a bracelet. I love gifts, I feel like it strengthens the bond between the giver and the receiver, but do you know what is better than an expensive gift, a thoughtful gift. That gift that goes beyond the item but has a deep meaning. It makes my heart fuzzy and warm.

If you are close to me, you will know that my favourite jewellery is a bracelet, you will never catch me without one, even on days I am running late.

The fact that this man paid attention and got me my favourite jewellery is so sweet, he now took it a step ahead with one that has a meaning to it.

"Do I even deserve you? This is so thoughtful," I grinned from ear to ear.

"You want to help me put it on?" I asked.

"Sure," he stretched his hand and collected the box.

I whipped out my phone to record the moment. As much as I am big on living in the moment and enjoying it, I also love documenting the moment because it is a memory you can always go back to and re-live. What is important is to always find a balance, enjoy the moment whilst trying to document it. And to be honest, on those days he annoys me, I go back to watch our videos and pictures, and it helps with my anger as silly as this may sound.

"There you go," he clasped it.

"Thank you Babe," I smiled cheekily.

"You are welcome Babe," he tried mimicking my voice.

"Buckle up, please," I said.

"So, I can't trust you with my life?" he asked.

"Guy, I don't even trust myself with my life when I am behind the wheels, buckle up," I said and reversed the car.