Chapter 32

It is 10:00 a.m and I have already gotten an earful about waking up late. I don't even understand why I need to wake up early, like what do they need me for? I thought being the bride meant everyone will be nice to me but alas I thought wrong.

I thought my friends won't show up because half of them are married and the others live in a different town but boy was I wrong. Everyone came through, it was overwhelming at first but now that I have settled into it, I am glad to have my girls here.

The girls and I had breakfast and spent two hours chatting. After receiving another phone call from mummy, I showered and went into the house to greet guests.

Today is the henna party, It is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. It is nothing serious, just hanging out with my friends and family, while we get henna done, eat a lot of food and snacks and dance.

I opted out for no makeup for this event, so, I just needed to change into the outfit for the event. The card said 2:00 p.m, it is 4:00 p.m and I just finished getting ready.

"Lee!, I like this your material o, it is so beautiful and the style it was sewn into, see you giving us shoulders and even cleavages, okay! Hot girl." Commented Basma. Basma and I went to University together in Scotland, she resides in Lagos.

"First! Don't call me Lee, only Jay is allowed to call me Lee. Secondly, if you know the drama that happened before I was allowed to wear this outfit ehen."

"See this one, I will call you whatever I want to call you. Jay koh, Jay ni. I knew in my soul that you are going to be that type of person that will my husband us to death," she teased.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

"Please you were talking about the drama surrounding your dress. What happened?" asked Ini. Ini and I were in the same CDS group back during NYSC and since then our bond has been unbreakable.

"So, I came back home with this material after a long day of looking for fabric and Mum went ballistic. Why will I want to wear a black material for my wedding events? Am I unhappy? What will people say and all of that drama? She lamented for days o and later gave up. I sent the fabric to the tailor and when it came back, she started shouting again. All the time I wasn't married I didn't decide to show my body, it is now that I want to show my body. I told her how it is just for the henna party and the party is strictly for females but she still complained. I even assured her how it has a matching veil that I will be wearing when it was time to take pictures but she went on and on."

"See, this mother and daughter clash is inevitable during weddings. Especially you being the first daughter, mothers try to relive their dream weddings during their daughters' weddings and it is always a mess," added Maryam.

"I know right. See let's go out abeg, before somebody comes and start shouting again."

So, when I told my planner the henna party was not anything serious, I expected the arrangement to be just a traditional carpet and few throw pillows thrown in, what I am seeing in the courtyard is far from that. The place looks like a whole event, I mean there is a photo booth and an actual DJ, it doesn't get more serious than that. But guess what? The place looked so beautiful and I love it, I feel like I am going to cry soon.

"Amarya, you have finally graced us with your presence. After all the shouting, no African time, you are here two hours late," teased my planner.

"I am sorry na," I giggled and hugged her.

"This place, It looks so different but really beautiful, thank you so much," I added.

"Just doing my work, she smiled and pulled me towards a big throw pillow, so, the henna decoration can start.

It is 7:00 p.m and I have finally been released from this bondage of waiting for my henna to dry. It turned out beautiful and I couldn't stop admiring it. I went in to pray maghrib and came back to enjoy the party.

Tomorrow is the wedding fathia. Guess what? I am not nervous. I don't know why, I have been very hyper and my grandmother said I am acting wayward because every bride is supposed to be coy and calm. I don't feel calm, I feel excited and I see no reason why I should pretend.

"Salima, will you be given the early morning bath tomorrow, like your people usually do," Ini asked from her side of the bed.

"Yeah, so, we have to wake up early tomorrow," I yawned.

"When you say early, what time do you mean?"

"6:00a.m."

"Salima, I love you o and we are here for your wedding but abeg don't wake me up by 6, I shall see the event when the wedding video and pictures come back."

"You are not serious," I laughed.

Ya Allah, I hope and pray this marriage turns out beautiful and peaceful. May AbdulJalal not have a reason to disgrace me and may we make life easy for each other throughout this journey, I sent a little prayer to God before dozing off.