Chapter 14

Today is our company's end of year party and I am so excited. Finally, the year is coming to an end and we can rest. The party is meant to start by 7:00 p.m. My makeup appointment was for 5:00 p.m but it is 4:30 and I am just going to shower.

I woke up ready for the party at 1:00 p.m I decided to try my dress for the night. The outfit I had in my mind was a white dress, I got it early last year for my friend's wedding. I haven't worn it since then. What I didn't take into consideration was that it might not fit. So, as the 'sensible person' that I am, I decided to try it on the day of the event and it was too small.

I wasn't particularly sad because I saw a dress that I wanted to get recently but I decided not to because I had no-where to go with it. This was a perfect opportunity for me to buy that beautiful dress. I placed a call to the designer, unfortunately, the one available was too big for me and apparently, it was the last day of work for the designer and her tailors were not around.

Thank God for being a returning customer, I managed to convince her to alter the dress to my size. I was at the shop for three hours. She did her magic and I know in my soul that I am going to look elegant today, I just need to shower as quickly as possible before my makeup artist cancels my appointment.

Khadijah is my friend but she doesn't joke with her business and being late for your appointment can lead to you paying extra if it is a free day and if it is a busy day, she cancels.5:30 p.m. I arrived at Khadijah's studio.

"Babe abeg, help me I had a wardrobe malfunction," I put on my best puppy face.

"You are lucky I am in a good mood today and there aren't many clients, sit down, let's get it done."

Forty minutes later, Khadijah finished her magic. She beat my face to perfection, see my friend sabi this her work.

"What, what, what, is this me?" I kept saying.

So, I have this thing where I act very silly when I am made up.

"I am fine sha, hey, a babe. They will take it today." I laughed while fluttering my eyelashes.

"Aunty sit down let's tie this turban, abi you want to pray first?" she asked.

"Nah, I am on my period, so just tie it now."

Khadijah tied the turban and went to pray while I laze around. It was 7:00 p.m already, I intend to leave by 7:30 p.m.

I called Aisha to ask when they are leaving and she said they are there already. The call ended with AK telling me I will stand if I come late and Aisha promising to keep a seat for me. I don't know why Ak won't go and sit with the other executives. He always likes sitting with us, his people.

Anyways I got dressed in my turquoise blue dress and waited for Khadijah to come out and help me strap my shoes.

"Girl, you look gorgeous. You are going to turn heads." she complimented.

"Thank you, they are not ready for this beauty today," I said.

"Abeg do not come back without passing out your number, I know there will be eligible bachelors at the event," she teased.

"You had to spoil the mood, everything is not about man abeg."

"Whatever, please sha if there is an eligible bachelor give him a listening ear and have fun," she patted my feet after strapping my shoe.

We spent the next 20 minutes taking pictures and by the time I left the studio, it was 7:45 p.m.

Coming down from my Uber, I heard my name being called, I looked to my side to see AbdulJalal, he was walking towards me. Okay, I can't even lie, there is just something about AbdulJalal, he has this beautiful aura that surrounds him, it is hard to miss. He dresses well and always smells amazing.