Chapter 1

Damien lives in a small rural town near the mountains in a prosperous ranch. He's lived in that ranch since the day he was born, the Crimson ranch was well known around the small town.
               Today a car came into the ranch and parked, a man in a suit came out of the car and turned to Damien. What kinda fuckin weirdo wears a suit out in the country? Damien thought to himself.
             "I'm looking for your father. Is he here?" The man asked. He must've been a lawyer but Damien was clueless on why a lawyer was here.
              "He's inside. I'll go get him." Damien said. Damien got up off the open trunk of his dirty truck and walked into the small wooden house.
               Damien came out with his father. Damiens father stopped walking right at the edge of the porch. Then he said, "What is a lawyer doin all the way out here?"
                "I need to speak with you. I've got news from the Everglades Ranch." The lawyer said. Damiens father motioned for him to come on in side the house to discuss about the Everglades Ranch.
                 Damien got back up on the back of his truck and put headphones in. He was concerned about the lawyer being there but he was taught at at a young age to mind his own business. It was the #1 rule in the house. Even when his mom died his dad said, "Mind your fuckin business." Mostly because he didn't want to cry in front of Damien. His dad is one tough guy.
              2o minutes later the lawyer left the ranch in his little car. Damiens dad walked out onto the porch and watched the lawyer leave.
              "Dad he's got a small ass car. It looks like a tiny little sneaker." Damien said with a chuckle.
              "Son, can we talk while we go feed the cattle?" Damiens dad said.
              "Sure" Damien said as they both walked over to the barn. Damien grabbed the alfalfa hay and began to feed the female cow first. Damiens had began to drink a beer quickly.
              "What's wrong?" Damien asked.
              "Everglades is going to sue us for what your sister did." Damiens dad said, "They want everything."
              "What the fuck?! What did she do?! We can't just sit here and do nothing! We have to stop this from happening!" Damien shouted.
               "They offered us a deal." His father said. Damien took a deep breath and said, "What kind of deal?"
               "They said that their daughter is coming down from the city and needs a place of work. Everglades already has too many people working there so they said to give her a job here, let her stay with us and they won't sue." His father said, "I'm going to agree to it."
               "You absolutely will not! This is bullshit. She could be like a spy for them or something. Like the birds and the government." Damien said.
                "Can you pull your head out of your ass for a second? This is not your ranch, it's mine. She's coming here to work with us." His father shouted, "Do you want the ranch to get shut down and taken by Everglades?!"
                 "Of course I don't, I just don't think this is the right way to keep it safe. What did sis do that was so wrong?" Damien asked.
                "She stole their prize winning calf while she was high. No one can find her or the calf." Damiens father said.
                 "Why don't we just go find the calf?" Damien said, "That could work."
                "It's been days, the poor calf is probably dead by now." Damiens father said, "Can you just go along with this please?"
                "Okay fine I will, but if something happens, I'm taking matters into my own hands." Damien said.

               The next day Damien woke up at 5am and went to the barn. He saw that the door was open. He opened the barn door slowly and the lights were on. He saw the female cow laying down on the hay covered floor. There was a fuzzy brown thing laying next to it. It was a brown calf.
               "What the fuck?" Damien said to himself then he looked around the barn and said, "Sis are you here?"
                "Yes" his sister said from behind the female cow. Her voice sounded hollow and wobbly. She must've been crying to have a voice like that.
           Damien walked over to her and asked, "Why are you here?"
           "I came to say I'm sorry." She said.
            Damien chuckled and said, "Sorry isn't going to work this time. You almost cost us the entire ranch."
            "I didn't mean to. I was angry with the Everglades. One of their men is a pervert. I can't even explain to you how much of a pervert he was. I could hardly get away. So I stole the calf as a payback." She cried.
            "A pervert on Everglades? Are you sure?" Damien asked, "Zoey?"
            "Like I said. I could hardly get away from him." She said.
            "If you had just told me I would've helped you tell the police." Damien said.
             "I don't want your pity! You said sorry wasn't enough and I know it's not enough. I gave you the calf back and now I'm going to leave." Zoey said.
            "Wait no you can stay. Please don't leave." Damien said, "It's been days since I saw you."
             "I'll come back and visit." Zoey said with a frown, "I think I just need to be alone for a while."
              Damien sighed and said, "Just come back soon, okay?"
               Zoey smiled and said, "Will do"

                         [End of chapter 1]