in your next life ; chapter 11

CHAPTER 11: ATHY'S REALISATION

"Guess what," I turned to Lucas, who seemed to be stoning again. "You lost the bet, Lucas!"

I'd made an 'L' with my fingers, sticking my tongue out at him as he flicked my forehead. "Is that so?" He raised his eyebrows, plucking his lollipop out from his mouth. "What makes you think I didn't, Athy?"

  I gave a small pout. "My foot you did."

  "I mean, sure, I did get a present for if you won the bet, though," he turned to his back, looking as if he was searching through it. "Ah! Found it!"

  And what he did next was the worse.

  My eyes widened- feeling as if they were ready to pop out, just like my heart did.

  He'd stuck the lollipop he'd just sucked on into my mouth. A saliva filled- half eaten lollipop. A saliva filled. Lollipop.

  As irritated and disgusted as I were, however, I felt myself bursting into laughter, playfully pinching his cheeks as I got off my swing seat.

  The swings were meant for kids- slightly lower than a standard one- and not being able to swing too high either. For a moment, I felt immersed into his ruby red eyes. The glistening crimson reflecting back at me- in his playful, relaxed expression. It felt fuzzy- somewhere in my chest, warm but burning at the same time.

"What?"

I'd jerked back from him, face bursting into shades of red- flushed and confused. "N-Nothing."

I thought nothing much of it- but the thought just kept coming back at me. That weird feeling I'd never felt before- it felt happy, but mysterious too. Something I wasn't familiar with at all. I tried to shake it off, but it would find it's way back any time.

  "Did you make any friends?" The words came out naturally as I sat myself down onto the soft ground, pushing my back to lie flat on the ground. "Because I think," a giggle escaped my lips. "You would have made lots."

  "I wouldn't call them friends, just yet, though. I barely know them," Lucas took back his lollipop, continuing to suck on it. "Besides, you won the bet, and you'd already gotten your prize, so suck it, Athy," he smirked, the sly grin plastering across his face.

"How are your friends, though?" He turned to look at me- still lying on the ground. "Well," I started. "Their real cute, individually and as a duo."

"Oh? Athanasia De Alger Obelia thinks a guy is cute?" Lucas raised his eyebrows teasingly, resting his chin on his hand. "No," I spoke. "You got it wrong, Lucas," a soft giggle escaped my lips. His playful smile seemed as if it could light up the whole of our town at night- like his eyes were twinkling with mischief. Even so, I never expected myself to think of a certain sentence at all.

If I did- wouldn't it be you?

The thought raced through my mind like a bullet- unexpectedly as my face'd gone red again. I really was weird today. "A-Ah, no."

I shook it off again, or at least, I tried.

"Their a couple, was what I meant," I raked a hand through the back of my head, a sheepish smile forming. But then, I'd recalled the weird encounter again. "But," my expression had went serious again. "There was something a tad weird about them."

Lucas's smile faded as soon as he noticed my expression change, "what was it?" I shifted a little, wondering if he would know at all- what that book was. "Have you read this book titled Flowering Heart?"

"...what if I have?"

I was a little shocked- after all, Lucas didn't seem like the kind to read such a childish book, especially one targetted at female audiences of ages 10 to 13. "Okay, so what about it?"

"Well," the thoughts came flushing right back in. "You know Ari and Chess- their descriptions and their story?"

Lucas frowned a little. "There wasn't much, though. Their story never went far."

"Okay, okay, but- I found out today that Yuna and Tae Eun had childhood names, Ari and Chess!" I exclaimed, a little confused with myself yet trying to make a point.

"And so?" I sighed. He didn't get it.

"Perhaps they're from the book?" I prompted, but Lucas didn't buy it either. He'd burst into giggles, trying to hold it in at first. "You've been reading way too many fantasies, Athy."

"Brought to life from a book?" It felt a little offensive to be laughed it for voicing out a theory. "I get that the flashbacks we get are something, but you make no sense right now."

"Sorry, I guess," I felt a little prick. "I won't say anything anymore, then." Maybe it was a petty thing to do- to feel a little hurt at him not trying to understand me. But maybe it was me being a little selfish for once. For some reason, of all people, Lucas's opinion always mattered the most to me.

Lucas's thoughts on almost everything. I'd predicted it- maybe in a little daydream somewhere in the day. But I'd never expected for myself to confirm this in the most absurd time- when we're in a disagreement. I'd never thought I'd realise it in a bad way, when I'm just ready to blow.

I'd never thought I'd realise it so late.

I'm in love with my best friend.

"I'm gonna go."

; A/N ;
I'M SORRY! Was it bad? I tried T^T I haven't written in a while, goddamnit! I'm so sorry if you didn't like it, but I really hope you could give me your feedback, and I'll work on it! Anyway, I've hit 18K on this story! Man I love you guys so much 🥰 thank you for all the support and always reading through my emo paragraphs about my mental health :( I really really appreciate all your support and everything and I really love you guys <3 also also feel free to leave qns or msgs on my conversations board- tbh i get rly happy when i see them 🥰 and i'll def ans!

Anyway, it's the part you can skip if you want! Well- I kind of broke down in the middle of the night a few days back, I was thinking of looootsa things- and I really couldn't sleep at all. I just started crying and I couldn't breathe and I realised it was a panic attack 😔 but anyway after i calmed down my mom woke up ( jus a tad too late ) but she asked me about it and I finally told her about my anxiety!1!1!1! okay but she kinda mistook it for stress? but it's okay it was nice to let it all out 😤 but things haf been wwwaaay better lately 🥰 and tysm for 18K!

till next week,
ja, matane~
-eru <3