第二章

It had been a day or so since the disciples of the Lan Sect set out, leaving Wei Yingyue nervous as her didi's went out on a Hunt on their own. After enlightening Lan Zhan about her worries, he told her more about the situation and tried to relieve her stress. That is how the two were in their current situation; Lan Zhan had practically kidnapped the female cultivator early in the morning before the others in the Cloud Recesses had awoken and dragged her up to the top of a mountain, presenting her with the view that made her heart leap. The two cultivators perched on a flat rock that sat at the top of the mountain, sitting in the Lotus Position for sometime. Almost an hour and a half passed when Lan Zhan began to play his guqin.

As the cords surrounded them in the vast silence, Wei Yue felt herself calm down as he played the Cleansing song that he had taught her when she was grieving the loss of her brother. They continued to sit like that, silent and content, when Wei Yingyue's stomach growled like a hungry beast. She did not move as the sound of the guqin halted, her cheeks reddening as she heard a rare chuckle come from Lan Zhan.

"Don't laugh at me, Lan Zhan. You woke me up at four, dragged me up here, and didn't feed me. It is probably six or seven by now." She murmured gently, he made a small noise of understanding before a familiar scent wafted into her nose. Her eyes opened and her gaze shot down, landing on a bowl he was offering to her. It was Lotus Root and Pork Soup.

"My brother told me you began to crave this the other day, so I found the recipe from the YunmengJiang Sect. I wanted to help." He murmured lightly, the tips of his ears turning pink as she took the bowl lightly.

"Did you make this?" She asked lightly, looking at the soup. He nodded and watched as she smelt the food, closing her eyes at the familiar smell. She took the spoon and filled it with broth, bringing it to her lips. She smiled as she tasted the food, emotions crashing through her as she lifted the Lotus Root up, taking a bite out of it before taking some meat as well. "This is amazing, Lan Zhan. Eat some." She held out the bowl, taking in that he had only brought one bowl.

"No, I made it for you to-"

"Lan Zhan, please." She whispered, holding out the bowl. He looked into the mix of blue, gray, and purple hues that made up her eyes, the frown on her face causing him to submit. He bowed his head and took the bowl, sipping on the broth before following Wei Yingyue's lead, eating some root and pork. "Thank you, Lan Zhan." She smiled as he ate, resting her hands on her thighs as she watched him.

"Finish it." He ordered, holding it out. She took it and silently finished the food, setting the bowl beside her when she finished. "We'll sit here to let everything settle, then we're going to start going South." She nodded and moved over, letting him have the spot he was in before. The pair sat there in Lotus position, listening to the wind, birds, and other animals that were in the woods behind them. The meditation only lasted for a few minutes before they gathered all of their things, Lan Wangji leading the way into the woods on a path that he knew like the back of his hand. Wei Yingyue followed close behind, her hands behind her back as she held Yīnyáng. Her fingers brushed against Zìyóu Fēixiáng, her bow and quiver slung across her body. We Yue never traveled without her swords, bow and arrows, or the Jade Xiao Flute Lan Huan had gifted her when they first met after her hair pinning ceremony. The Flute was named Yìngyù and she treasured it almost as much as she treasured the Guqin given to her by her Uncle Jiang, though the Flute was easier to carry than her Guqin.

After they reached the destination Lan Zhan had intended for them to go, he and his partner walked through the town. Lan Zhan brought Wei Yue outside the borders of town and made her stand in the road.

"Come." He instructed, placing his hands on her shoulders as he made her straighten. "I want you to listen and tell me what you hear." She followed his orders and closed her eyes, opening her senses as he backed away. She listened and concentrated but only silence welcomed her waiting ears.