第十四章

"You agreed to spar because you wanted to show off, didn't you." Jiang Cheng sighed as he leaned against the door to his companion's room, watching as Wei Yingyue walked over to grab ivory comb that was a birthday gift from Jiang Yanli when her Meimei came of age.

"No." She sighed as she brushed through her long, black hair gently, looking at the younger male in her doorway. "I agreed because I enjoy sparring with Lan Zhan. It gives me a challenge." She grinned, winking at the younger Cultivator as she began to pull the hair on the crown of her hair into a braided bun, slipping the zen hairpin Lan Xichen had given her through it gently.

It was the last day that Jiang Cheng and Wei Yingyue would be in the Cloud Recesses, Lan Qiren's classes had officially ended and the female Cultivator had decided it was time to return to the place she had grown up. She would be leaving for Lotus Pier with Jiang Cheng today, their boat that would be taking them back would be docking at noon and Lan Wangji had asked permission to spar with his friend one last time.

"You and Wei Ying are the same, talking about how challenging it is to fight Second Brother Lan. Wei Wuxian had the nerve to remark how refreshing it was to have someone, besides you, who could best him in sword fighting." Wei Yue grinned as she lifted her sheathed dual swords, Yin and Yang, while listening to her Didi rant about the relationship she and her twin had with Lan Wangji.

After Wei Wuxian had left with his Senior Sister and Uncle Fengmain, Lan Wangji had not returned back to his Uncle's lessons. Instead of attending the lectures, Wei Yingyue could always find him in her siheyuan, kneeling in her study room as he played his guqin, or sitting in the Library Pavilion. They usually worked in these two places because, now that Sect Leader Fengmain had taken his Older Sister and his Sworn Brother, Jiang Cheng stayed with his Sworn Sister most of the time. Now, due to the absence of a seatmate after losing both of the previous ones and people being afraid of her after the fight, Wei Yue sat beside Jiang Cheng in class. She began to help him study while she gave Lan Wangji the notes she took and practically taught him the lesson herself.

Once the end of the lectures neared, Lan Wangji had gained permission to spar with the female cultivator. She was someone who he rarely crossed swords with, though it was never the same way he had crossed swords with her twin brother. When they did it, it was mere practice or the trading of fighting tricks that the pair knew and wished to share. Wei Yingyue had been traveling and learning about music, literature, medicine, and art from other parts of the world. Some of the things she learned, she often applied to her everyday life. One of the things she loved to learn was fighting techniques, learning them while she traveled from place to place in both peaceful and unfortunate ways. Lan Wangji knew that she had learned some of her moves from raids, attacks, or ambushes that had happened to her while she was on the road of knowledge. That didn't stop him from admiring how she incorporated so many styles of fighting into her life, elevating her to a level of which he thought she could beat him and her brother if she really wanted to.

"Jiejie, are you listening to me?" Jiang Cheng practically whined as he grabbed Wei Yue's wrist, a pouty look on his face as he stopped her from walking.

"Ah-Cheng, you know I always listen to you." She smiled as she patted the side of his head, shaking her own as he grinned widely before walking into the GusuLan training grounds. Lan Wangji was already standing there, Bichen in his grasp as his eyes remained closed.

"Lan Zhan, we're here." Wei Yue called as she followed Jiang Cheng inside, watching as he bowed towards their elder. Lan Wangji bowed his head, his eyes watching as Jiang Cheng walked over to where he usually sat when he decided to join his Jiejie while she spared. When she came he usually went to her rooms or his own, waiting for her to return after a session. Now, since their rooms were packed and he had nothing to do, he walked to his usual seat and sat down, closing his eyes as he leaned against the white stone wall that surrounded the area.