第十一章

At this point in her life at the Cloud Recesses, Wei Yingyue's schedule was pretty easy. She'd get up before everyone in the Recesses, go up to the mountains to practice her secluded meditation, come back to the Recesses after a few hours, eat a light meal, then go to the Library to study and rewrite scriptures. After a few days of Lan Qiren's lessons shortening and the nearly constant scolding of her brother, Wei Yue would only do one of three things with her days; practice her secluded meditation unless Wangji joined her, complete tasks given to her by one of the Lan siblings to make up for Wei Ying's behavior, rewrite manuscripts or simply study in the Library Pavilion until supper before going to bed. This had been her schedule for the past week, which was soon abruptly changed when her brother started bringing groups of friends up to the mountain, stumbling upon her meditation spot numerous times to the point where she stopped going to meditate.

"If it bothers you so much, you can go to my meditation spot." Lan Zhan offered as he watched her walk through the row of his family manuscripts, knowing she had not done her morning meditation. The girl shook her head as she picked up the book she had been searching for, walking over to sit beside Lan Zhan.

"It's fine Lan Zhan, I'm just going to meditate in the springs later." She replied as she opened the book, reading through it silently as he organised his papers.

"Is that pin new?" He asked, gesturing to the pin holding his friend's hair in place.

"Your brother gave it to me the other day while we were in Caiyi Town." She looked at him as he hummed, eyes shifting down to the manuscript in her hands when a creaking noise came from the window behind them. She closed her eyes as someone hopped inside, knowing that there was only one person in the Recesses who would dare do it.

"Lan Zhan, Wei Yue! I'm back! Did you miss me, Lan Zhan? Without me copying text for these past few days?" Wei Yingyue simple let out a small breath before returning to the book in her hands, Lan Zhan also returned to organizing his pile of books with a numb expression. "I know, even if you don't say it, that you definitely missed me. Or else, earlier on, why did you look at me through the window?" Her brother continued to pester the man beside her, causing her to look at her twin brother with cold eyes. "Look at you both! Rising to the bait after just a few sentences! You're so easy to catch. This way, you won't be able to maintain your composure." He teased the two in front of him as he sat atop the windowsill, grinning at the two kneeling figures.

"You, leave." Lan Zhan ordered, his eyes as cold as the female sitting beside him.

"If I don't leave, will you throw me down?" Wei Ying bit back towards the Second Young Master.

"If he doesn't, I might." Wei Yue muttered as she shook her head, standing as she picked up her books. She walked towards the shelves, rolling her eyes as her brother continued to make a ruckus.

"Don't be so scary! I'm here to apologize by giving you a present." Wei Wuxian called, aiming the second line at Lan Zhan as his sister walked away.

"No."

"Are you sure?" Her twin asked, studying Lan Wangji's face silently as his sister walked back to the table, freezing as her brother fished out two rabbits. He was holding them by their ears, both of them kicked their legs and Wei Yue groaned lightly as he lifted them in front of Lan Zhan's face. "It's actually quite strange here. There aren't any pheasants, but there are lots of wild rabbits. They aren't even scared of people. What do you think? Aren't they fat? Do you want them?" Lan Wangji just watched her brother with an uninterested stare. "Fine, if you don't want them, I'm gonna give them to other people. We aren't having much flavors in our mouths, anyways."

"Stop." Lan Zhan spoke as Wei Yue stepped forwards.

"I'm not going anywhere." Wei Wuxian stated as he looked up at his sister, extending his arms lightly.

"Who are you giving them to?" Lan Wangji asked.

"I'm gonna give them to whoever's good at roasting rabbit meat." He answered the older man, then his eyes snapped to his sister. "Yingying, you're roasted rabbit isn't bad." He muttered, smiling as she frowned and crossed her arms.

"Killing is forbidden in the Cloud Recesses." She stated in a bored tone.

"It's the third rule on the Wall of Rules." The eldest in the room added.

"Fine, I'll go down the mountain and kill it outside. Then I'll bring it back to roast it. You don't want it, anyway, so why do you care so much about it?" Wei Ying asked Lan Zhan, baiting him yet again.

"Give it to me." Lan Zhan spoke each word once at a time, his eyes not leaving her brother. Once the rabbits were down, only laid down on it's stomach for a long time as it chewed lettuce Wei Ying was throwing to them. The other, however, was jumping around and Wei Yue smiled, kneeling down to pet the rabbit that was bouncing around her feet before it bounced away, landing into Lan Zhan's inkstone and walked across the desk. Wei Yue walked over and began to clean the mess for Lan Zhan, looking up when Wei Wuxian let out an exaggerated noise.

"What?" Lan Zhan and Wei Yue snapped, looking up at the annoying person.

"Look at how one is on top of the other! Are they-" He stopped talking and Wei Yue groaned.

"They're both males!" Lan Zhan snapped.

"Males? How weird." He lifted the creatures by their ears and looked them over. "They really are males." She closed her eyes as she sat, massaging her temples as she tried to ignore her brother. "Well, then, I didn't even finish my sentence. Why are you so stern? What were you thinking of? Now that I think about it, I was the one who caught them, and I didn't even notice whether they were male or female, but you even looked at their-" He was cut off as Lan Zhan threw him from the Library Pavilion, the only sound that followed was Wei Ying's laugh and the sound of the window slamming.

Wei Yingyue let out a breath of relief when one other the rabbits jumped into her lap, it's pink nose wiggling as it looked up at her. It was the calmer one, luckily, and she smiled, running her hand down it's back gently. She looked up as Lan Zhan covered his ears, trying to block out the noise her brother was causing outside. Standing with the rabbit in her arms, she walked over towards him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll help you clean this up, okay?" She asked as he looked at the mess of paper and lettuce. He nodded and looked at her, his eyes holding both annoyance and tiredness before it shifted to the rabbit in her arms. Petting it's head, he smiled gently before she set it down and they began cleaning the mess both the rabbits and Wei Ying had made.