第十九章

After staying in the courtyard of the Heavenly Nightless City reading the "Quintessence of the Wen Sect", booklets full of the stories and quotes of the Wen Sect's past leaders and best cultivators, all afternoon, Wei Yingyue was grabbed when she went to follow her brother and Jiang Cheng to the rooms they were staying in.

"Why are you dragging me?" She demanded as she was separated from her brothers.

"Jiejie!" Jiang Cheng called, Wei Ying demanded to know where they were taking her before they were thrown inside their room, the door slammed shut behind them as they fell on the floor on top of each other.

"What is going on?" Wei Yue demanded, jerking in the guard's hold as they practically dragged her back from the way she came. She frowned as they tightened their grip on her biceps, jerking her upright until she stopped moving.

"You know, you might not want to fight against them when I might actually be rewarding you." The hair on the back of Wei Yue's neck stood on end as she looked up, her eyes landing on Wen Chao as the guards shoved her forwards, wincing as her knees struck the stone ground in front of Wen Chao. As Wei Yue grit her teeth and rose to her feet, she noticed that Wen Chao had a woman standing behind him, a small cart placed by her side.

"What's going on?" Wei Yue asked, her eyes returning to the man in front of her.

"I am sure that you have heard about what has happened at the Cloud Recesses, what has happened to your fiance and his family." Wen Chao stated in an arrogant tone, his hands behind his back as he walked around the girl before him, taking in her tensing posture and the clench of her hands.

"What are you talking about?" She hissed, narrowing her eyes as he stopped right in front of her, his breath that hit her face making her stomach twist in disgust.

"You haven't heard?" He grinned, laughing as he reached his hand up. "Well, my beautiful friend, the Cloud Recesses was burned to the ground." Wei Yingyue's eyes widened as she took in his words, slapping his hand away from her face as his fingers grazed a strand of her hair. The smile on his face remained as he grabbed her arm when she went to step away, holding out a hand to the guards who moved towards her. "Lan Sect itself burnt everything down. My older brother, Wen Xu, went to Gusu and fixed the injustice done but the Sect Leader. It was given pretty names like cleaning up the place so that it's reborn from the firelight." Wei Yingyue felt dred fill her body as the memories of the Cloud Recesses passed through her mind, the memories made there with her fiance and his little brother. Wen Chao was smiling widely as he watched her pale, her head lowering to look at the ground as she pursed her lips.

"Young Master Wen, please tell her what you have decided so I can explain what is here." The woman instructed, gesturing to the cart beside her. Wen Chao frowned as he looked at the woman, dropping Wei Yue's arm as he crossed his arms behind his back.

"During the Cleansing of the Cloud Recesses, Lan Wangji rebelled and my brother had his leg broken to ensure that all of the bad could be rid from the area." Wen Chao said, shaking his head as he turned and looked at the girl. "My father has ordered that you, Wei Yingyue, heal the Second Young Lord Lan so that he can be at our full disposal. If it was up to me, however, I would let him suffer from the fever and sickness that comes with being a rebel." Wen Chao sneered, narrowing his eyes as he looked in the direction of Lan Zhan's rooms.

"I will escort her to the rooms, Young Master. Please, go rest for the rest of today." The woman bowed to him, lowering her eyes as he looked at her from the corner of his eye.

"Make sure she only gets what she needs, nothing more. Basics." He snapped at her, waving everyone off as he turned. Only a few guards remained as the woman straightened, turning to look at the paled girl.