第四回

When the encounter with Jiang Cheng had finished and the temperamental man left, Wei Yingyue left Lan Zhan and the other disciples. She walked on her own through the forest, clutching a bell in her hand. It was a bell that she had been given while growing up at Lotus Pier, though she never wore it after her exile. She simply carried the bell around in a pouch that she hid in her Hanfu. Soon she came to a stream, walking forwards to sit on the rock as she looked at the water. The girl looked down at the bell, running a finger over it as she felt tears welling in her eyes. After sitting by herself for a while someone finally came to stand behind her right shoulder, the smell of sandalwood wafting into her nose as Lan Zhan stopped right behind her.

"Are you okay?" He asked lightly, his voice filling the entire area around them effortlessly. Wei Yue pursed her lips as she shook her head, looking at the sky.

"No, I'm not." She sighed, blinking as tears fell from her eyes. Lan Zhan looked down at her hand, her long fingers clasped around something. He reached down and she looked at her hand as he took the bell, studying it closely as he held it by it's string. "I wasn't prepared to see Jiang Cheng. I didn't want to see Jiang Cheng. I didn't want to think about what happened the last time I was at Lotus Pier." She whispered, looking up at the older man as he stared at the bell. His eyes shifted after a moment and he froze, his eyes landing on her tears falling down her cheeks.

"I've only ever seen you cry three times." He muttered, she looked away and wiped her face. "Wei Yue, Jiang Ch-" Lan Zhan was cut off by the sound of a flute flowing through the air, the sound causing both of them to freeze. It sounded familiar, the melody causing chills to run through Wei Yingyue's spine. Lan Zhan and Wei Yue started towards the noise, moving swiftly through the woods, up the mountain, and through the trees to see the man who Jiang Cheng had tried to attack before. Lan Zhan grabbed the man's wrist, causing him to stop mid melody. Wei Yue came up on the opposite side of the stranger, scanning over his bamboo "flute" before her eyes landed on someone she hasn't seen in years. A small gasp left her lips when her eyes fell onto Wen Ning, the Fierce Corpse looking around nearly two zhang in front of her.

The sound of the flute cracked through the air, the pace was faster and sharper. It was shrill and harsh, causing the female to wince as she watched Wen Ning flee from the scene as the flute was dropped by the man in Lan Zhan's grip. Wei Yingyue's eyes turned to look at the two men, seeing them watching each other.

"A-Ling!" "Uncle!"

These two voices broke Wei Yue's gaze away, moving to stand in front of the stranger and Lan Zhan as she watched Jiang Cheng scold his nephew.

"Didn't you bring signal firelights with you? Don't you know how to use them when you meet something like this? What are you pretending to be strong for? Get over here!" He ordered the young disciple.

"Weren't you the one who told me that I have to catch it? And, if I don't catch it, I shouldn't see you?" The brat mouthed back, causing Wei Yue to roll her eyes gently.

"What on Earth can it be, beating up in such a dignified way?" Jiang Cheng asked after taking in the scene before him.

"Sect-Sect Leader, it's Wen Ning." A cultivator forced.

"What did you say?" Wei Yingyue clenched her fist.

"Wen Ning is back!" The same person exclaimed. Wei Yingyue watched the emotions flash across his face.

"The thing was ground to dust in front of everyone long ago, so how can it come back?" He growled bitterly.

"It really was Wen Ning! There's no way for it to be wrong! My eyes couldn't have mislooked." The cultivator suddenly pointed towards Wei Yingyue's direction. "He was the one who summoned him!" He spoke, regarding the man Lan Zhan was still holding and staring at. Wei Yue tensed as she thought silently to herself, coming to the same conclusion that, as it seemed, Jiang Cheng had come to as well.