第九章

After the incident with the water abyss and determining who was the cause of this issue coming to Caiyi Town, the cultivators stayed in town for a short period of time. Wei Yingyue excused herself from everyone and walked towards a secluded area near the docks, sitting herself down as she inspected the jar of wine her brother had bought her. Having not tasted wine from Caiyi Town in a long time, she opened the jar and sniffed it as she closed her eyes.

"How does it smell?" She looked up and saw Lan Xichen walking towards her, his hands holding a small basket of loquats.

"Why do you have so many?" She laughed gently, looking over the fruits.

"Some of these are for you, then the rest is for Wangji. He wanted some, but he denied it earlier." He informed her as he set the basket down. "So, how does it smell?" He asked, nodding to the wine. She offered him the jar and he took it lightly, smelling the contents before handing her the jar. "My family and I do not have the best luck when it comes to drinking." He sighed before picking up a loquat, peeling the skin off swiftly before offering it to the girl. She smiled before taking it, biting into the fruit gently. She took two bites before offering it to her companion.

"Eat some, Lan Xichen." Was what he was met with when he shook his head. He looked at her with wide eyes before laughing, shaking his head.

"Only if you call me Lan Huan." He raised an eyebrow, smiling slightly.

"Fine. Eat some, Lan Huan." He nodded and took the fruit, biting into it as she took a drink of the wine. "If you'd like, you can call me by my name. I hate being called Lady Wei." She muttered, shaking her head at the thought of the title as she took the fruit from him.

"Wei Yue." He stated, letting out a small 'hm' before peeling another loquat. Wei Yue drank more of her wine and the two sat there, eating and talking until she finished the jar. Once it was finished, it was time for the cultivators to return to the Recesses, as it was supper time. "Wei Yue, before we leave, I have something I bought you." She looked up at him in shock, frowning as he pulled out a white jade hairpin. It was pure white jade, a lotus blossom carved into the top with small, amethyst gems hanging off on small silver chains. "I saw this and it matches your robes and eyes. Also, Wangji told me your other hairpin from your hair pinning ceremony snapped." He explained, she looked up at him and smiled before taking her old hairpin out. He watched as her long, dark hair fell down her arms as she tucked her handmade pine hairpin into her belt before gathering her hair to the back of her neck. When she formed a bun on the back of her head and held out her hand, Lan Xichen shook his head and moved behind her before gently putting the gift into her hair.

"Thank you, Lan Huan." She whispered, reaching up to touch the hairpin. He smiled and nodded before they turned, making their way to gather the others to go back for dinner.

It was one day after the trip to Caiyi Town and there were still no classes, so Wei Yue decided to help her sister study. They were now in the Library Pavilion, there was no one else there besides them and Lan Zhan, who was sitting on the other side of the Pavilion. Wei Yue finished rewriting the Buddhist Text and let out a breath, standing before walking over to his table as Jiang Yanli watched her.

"Lan Zhan." The girl whispered as she came to kneel beside him, waiting for him to finish writing the sentence he was working on from one of the old texts. He set down his brush and turned to her, his eyes landing on the book she held out. "I finished rewriting it, I apologize for Wei Ying's actions." She bowed her head deeply as he took the book, opening it slowly to see that it was the same as when he had read before, if not easier to read.