22

2 Weeks Later
__________

"C'mon Rin..." Aizawa said softly, easing her down gently into a tub full of lukewarm water. "I know it's not your water... but try not to fight it."

A gentle groan vibrated her windpipe as she pressed the soles of her feet against the opposing end of the bathtub. The large T shirt she wore clung to her skin uncomfortably, and despite Rin's supply of salt water that she coated herself in every morning, her skin still began to flake. It felt as if she was being eaten alive from the inside out. She wanted to badly to claw away the sensation that closely related an ant bite away from her legs, but Aizawa's gentle hand prevented her from doing so.

"This will all be over soon." He promised quietly, bringing a soft washcloth over her forearms. She neglected to look at him as she scowled at the water.

"He won't let it." Was all she said in response. Aizawa fought down a sigh at the tone of her voice, and merely continued his attempt at keeping her skin hydrated in silence.

Two weeks of nonstop oceanfront battles disrupted Musutafu's usual beach flow since the day Poseidon made himself known to the public. It had been difficult to reach the water in order to resupply Rin's need for salt water, and she had - in a sense - been put under house arrest since the fighting started to assure her safety.

The affects that not only her dehydration - but also her stress - was having on her body made a pain like no other pulsate through Aizawa's chest. In no way could he have predicted the events that had transpired, nor his attachment to the girl he had found what seemed like an eternity ago.

His tired eyes flicked up to glance at the side of her face every few seconds, and he was met with the same dead look every time.

"Mr Aizawa?" A knock sounding on the bathroom door and Mina's voice elicited the teacher to look up. "I brought Rinny some lotion. I think it'll really help her skin."

"Come on in." He said after a moment, and pulled the plug to drain the tub.

Mina did as she was told without another word, and peeked into the room with furrowed brows. Her look mirrored most of the other students' as they watched Rin's condition worsen, and everyone had been doing their best to make her as comfortable as humanly possible.

"I'll leave you to the rest," Aizawa said tiredly, running a hand over his face after helping Rin dab off with a towel. "Let's hope this works."

He gestured to the lotion bottle in her hand, and Mina nodded.

"Yes, sir."

Mina let out a loose breath as their teacher left the bathroom, and once the door was closed behind him, she turned toward Rin - who had lowered herself down to sit on the edge of the bathtub.

"Hey, Rinny," her pink friend smiled like she always would and crouched down in front of her. She applied a dollop to Rin's leg and proceeded to rub it in. "How are you feeling? Are the baths helping?"

"Itchy..." she grumbled, cranky. "Not really."

Mina bit the inside of her cheek. "How about the salt water? I know it's not the same as being covered by it completely, but that's gotta give some relief, right?"

Rin only shrugged.

"Well, if anything, this should at least help with the itchy sensation." Mina reassured, moving on to her arms and minding her scratches.

"I hope so..."

"I'm sorry this is happening, Rinny." Mina sighed, words genuine.

"Not your fault." Rin replied, glancing in the girl's direction momentarily before staring at the floor again.