Chapter 2

PAISLEY'S POV:

Jai was as good as his word, turning up at my flat at exactly twelve. It was me who wasn't ready. He knocked on the door and the sudden noise made me burn my head with the straighteners I was using. Cursing at Jai, I cleared the room in about three steps and swung the door open. I was cross and my face was set in a scowl as Jai was revealed, looking pretty much the same as he had two years ago.

"Oh hi," he said sarcastically. "Nice to see you too!"

"You just made me burn my head!" I said, trying to keep my glare but failing miserably.

"Sorry," He said but he couldn't help grinning.

Almost involuntarily, I pulled him in for a hug. I was instantly happy now that he was here and strangely relieved. I forgot about my reservations and opened the door wider, inviting him in. After stepping in, his eyes scanned over the room, taking everything in. It didn't take him long.

"This is... cosy," he said, searching for an adjective.

"I know it's not much," I said defensively. "But it was either this or a bench in the park."

It's great," he said, purposely letting his eyes linger over the piles of clothes on the floor. "I love how you've made it your own!"

"Oh how I laugh," I said dryly. "Very funny."

He broke into a grin then looked around again.

"Where's Ava?" he asked, a little hesitantly. I forgot he had never met her before.

"In the cot," I told him. "Get her out if you want. I've just got to finish getting ready."

Jai nodded and moved over to the cot, looking slightly in awe.

I went back to my bed and finished straightening my hair, watching them from the corner of my eye.

"Glad she got your looks!" Jai chuckled, gazing into the cot.

"She's gorgeous isn't she?" I beamed, delighted he shared my opinion.

"Yes and I see you're quite the modest mother as well!"

I rolled my eyes and Jai laughed.

"So how are you and Ariana doing?" I asked, turning the subject back to him.

"Great," he said letting a delighted grin creep onto his face. "She's really fantastic."

I smiled at him but inside I was a bit put out. Jai hadn't been calling.me nearly as much as he used to and that was mainly due to Ariana. I know I sounded possessive but I Jai was the only person I had and I was feeling neglected.

"How are the others?" I asked, trying to mask my disappointment.

"Beau is same as always really, Daniel is getting stupider, ooh and James has a new girlfriend now. Lucy or something she's called. And Luk-"

I cut him off because I didn't want to hear about Luke's new girlfriend or Luke's amazing new life.

"Let's not talk about Luke," I said. "I just want to forget he exists!"

"You know you're going to have to speak to Luke soon," he said softly.

"Yes but not right now," I said, grabbing my bag. "Can we go?"

Jai handed Ava over to me and grabbed her pram leaning on the wall.

"I walked over," he explained.

I nodded and Jai started out of the door, heaving the pram behind him. I followed, locking the door behind me. I don't know why I bothered: I had nothing worth stealing and any criminal could break down the flimsy door or pick the lock in about two seconds. Jai waited patiently, not commenting.