Chapter 34

2 weeks later:

LUKE'S POV:

Rosie's apparent warning stayed in my head for the next two weeks. Even when I was sure nothing was going to happen, it was always there at the back of my mind. Honestly, I was worried. Sean was ruthless and I had been avoiding him for too long. He probably had a hit list with my name on.

I know Paisley thought about it as well because sometimes we would talk about it but she had more pressing things to worry about. When she woke up from her coma, as well as hearing me confess my love, she could remember everything that happened before. Including the face and name of the guy who stabbed her. She told the police everything though she was hesitant. I had never heard of him but apparently he was a notorious criminal that the police couldn't pin anything on. They were practically beaming when they finished interviewing her.

He had been arrested immediately and given no bail. Today was the day of his trial. It was a remarkably quick turnaround but this encouraged me; it meant a jail term was very likely. If it wasn't, they would have left him in there a lot longer. It couldn't have come at a worst time though. It was just four days until Ava's first birthday and Paisley should have been focusing all her attention on our daughter instead of worrying herself stupid about this lowlife piece of scum.

Paisley never told any of us how she felt but I knew that she was dreading it. She was up and down all night and in the morning was pale and ill-looking. She tried her best to look smart, wearing a white blouse and a black skirt she borrowed off mum but no amount of concealer could hide the bags under her eyes. Her hair was tied up in a high bun, smart and professional looking. My mother had come home from my aunt's to support her and of course I would be going but she still looked so lost and alone.

"It'll be fine," I reassured her over breakfast.

She smiled at me weakly, obviously not believing me. She barely ate everything which I knew was bad for her new diet plan. Mum pursed her lips when she saw the cereal left in the bowl but didn't say anything. We all knew how stressful this was for Paisley.

She hadn't asked me to come but I knew without asking that she wanted me there. Mum was of course coming, leaving Beau and Jai in charge of Ava for the day. I was very hesitant about leaving her and so was Paisley. I trusted my brothers but they weren't babysitters.

"You take good care of her," I warned after I kissed her goodbye for the fiftieth time.

"Calm down Luke," Beau rolled his eyes. "We know what we're doing."

"No getting drunk, no swearing, no drugs..." Paisley rattled off.

"Sorry Mum," Jai said cockily. "Didn't realise you'd been resurrected as a 17 year old."

Paisley swatted him round the head and bent down to talk to Ava.

"Now, you be a good girl for uncle Beau and uncle Jai," she said. "Mummy and daddy will be back very soon."

"You do know she can't understand you right?" Beau smirked.

"Yes she can," I protested. "Our daughter is very intelligent."

Paisley grinned at me, the first proper smile she'd had all day. It made me feel a little relieved.

"Well see you later," Jai said, getting his serious face all of a sudden. "You don't want to miss it."

Paisley nodded shakily and swallowed. Mum placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and led her out to the car. I had one last warning for my brothers.

"You take care of her, OK?" I said. "Cause if anything happens to my daughter..."

"Luke, just go," Beau pushed me towards the door, mot threatened at all. "Paisley needs you."