Chapter 6

LUKE'S POV:

I heard Mum's car leave and the house was silent but I wasn't sure if everyone had left. I sat back on Jai's bed, feeling sick to the stomach. I wasn't angry anymore; I had no energy for that but I was scared. More scared then I'd ever been in my life. I wasn't scared of Beau or Jai, or even my Mum. They could say whatever the hell they wanted or think whatever they liked about me. I was scared of Paisley, and I was scared of my baby. I didn't want her to think bad things about me, though she had every right to, but at the same time I didn't want this baby. I honestly didn't know what to think so I sat in the dark and tried my hardest not to.

Unfortunately, this was easier said then done, and I was wallowing in a pit of self-despair when I heard Mum's car pull back up outside. I snuck a look out of the window, barely moving the curtain. I didn't get a very clear view but it looked like they were all sat in there. Suddenly, I thought I felt someone looking at me so I closed the curtain as quickly as I could.

Despite what I said about not being scared, I was nervous. Mum's earlier onslaught was brutal and there was no way I wanted to go through that again. I lent against the wall with my head in my hands and my heart hammering in my chest, just waiting for the anger that was bound to come. It felt like I was waiting to be executed.

All too soon, I heard light footsteps on the stairs and a soft knock on the door. I didn't answer, hoping to prolong my fate.

"Luke," the guest said, as I realised it was my mum. "Can I come in?"

I still didn't answer but she took my silence as the affirmative and walked in. She took one look at me and exhaled deeply.

"Well you have got yourself into a bit of a mess, haven't you?" she said, not unkindly.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my voice hoarse.

"We're going to sort it out," she assured me. "Paisley and Ava are downstairs,"

The breath I was in the middle of taking caught in my throat and I stopped breathing.

"Luke?" Mum put her arm around me. "It'll be OK, I promise."

I finally remembered to breathe again and air filled my lungs.

"Come on," she took my hand like a little kid and led me from the room. I followed obediently behind her, incapable of reacting. The walk downstairs must have taken about twenty seconds but it was the longest of my life. I felt like I was about to pass out and Mum was clutching my hand so tightly her nails dug into my skin. At the door to the living room, she squeezed my hand reassuringly. My mouth was dry and I kept swallowing. My breathing was unbelievably fast and I stumbled as Mum opened the door. She went in first, and I followed behind, looking at the floor. I was desperate not to see Paisley or the baby. My mum stopped in the middle of the room, so abruptly I walked into her.

"Luke, look at me," she said steadily. I did as she asked, and raised my head to look her in the eyes.

"Don't let yourself down now," Mum said. "Look at Paisley."

I turned around slowly, to face the rest of the living room. Paisley was occupying one of the sofa's, looking like a deer trapped in headlights. It was immediately evident she had been crying. She flinched but kept my gaze. Even seeing her like this, in these circumstances caused my heart to jump in my chest. I swallowed back my unspoken words, the things I could never admit. Paisley looked down at the bundle in her arms, not meeting my eyes but understanding all the same. Mum pushed me towards the armchair and I collapsed into it grateful for its support. Mum took a seat next to Paisley on the couch. The bundle stirred. Mum spoke first.