Chapter 16

"Sir, an x-wing approaches. It looks like its heading directly this way."

Kylo Ren sees the single fighter struggle to go through the blasts of the cannons.

"Cease fire." He commands.

"But sir..."

He gives the stormtrooper the deadliest of stares. "I've been expecting it. Let it land here."

The officer signals to the command tower to allow the x-wing into the hangar bay. The firing dies down but a few strays hit Jaina's fighter. Smoke comes out of one of the engines as she wobbly lands in the hangar.

Rey lets out a sigh of relief as Jaina emerges from the ship.

Ren strides over and hands Jaina a pair of cuffs. "Put them on."

"Really, Ben? No, I'm sorry I almost blew you out of the sky or I'm glad you're still alive."

He doesn't move or say anything.

"Or how about, Hey sis!" She playfully punches his arm. "Thanks for coming to me like I've been asking for over 10 years!."

A stormtroooper approaches but Ren stops him. Jaina sees Rey is also bound and reluctantly slides the binders on.

"This way." Ren leads.

__________________________

Poe wakes up disorientated and with a major headache. His eyes finally focus and he realizes he's on a transport.

"No, no, no." He jumps up and watches helplessly as the cruiser gets farther and farther away.

"Poe." Leia beckons gently.

Out the window a small dark planet comes into view.

"What is that?" Poe asks.

"The mineral planet Crait." D'acy answers. "An uncharted hideout from the says of the Rebellion."

"That's a Rebel base?" Poe is skeptical.

"Abandoned but heavily armored with enough power to get a distress signal to our allies scattered in the Outer Rim."

"Holdo knew the First Order was tracking our big ship. They're not monitoring for little transports." Leia explains.

Poe takes a seat. "So we could slip down to the surface unnoticed and hide till the First Order passes. That could work."

Leia nods. "She was more interested in protecting the Light than she was seeming like a hero."

She takes the beacon off his wrist.

Guilt floods Poe. He realizes what Leia was trying to teach him. By letting his own pride cloud his vision he undersestimated Holdo. She knew all along what was most important. Jaina tried to tell him. Jaina. He begins searching the transport for her.

Leia reads his mind. "She's not here."

"Where is she?"

"She's doing her part ensuring the Light remains."

His heart drops. "Don't tell me she went to him. Tell me she didn't."

"She wanted you to know she's sorry for everything that happened and she loves you very much."

Poe stands. "How could you let her go?"

"I didn't have a choice. She made her mind up."

"We'll lose her." His voice cracks. "He'll turn her or kill her trying."