Chapter 21

"Ground forces, incoming." The ground leader announces.

"Copy that. On our way." Poe yells over the radio. He signals to Jaina and the others to start the skimmers.

Jaina tries to look reassuring as her squad follows her lead. She's still shaken by the encounter on the Finalizer. Ben is out there anticipating her next move. She tried to convince Leia and Poe to let her go out on her own. They don't know what happened on the ship but they still wouldn't risk it. She got away that's what matters to them.

Poe catches her eye. "It's going to be ok."

She puts on a smile. "See you out there."

The skim speeders launch out of the upper hatches of the mine door. The rickety skimmers land roughly on the ground. Even the most experienced pilots have a hard time steering. Ribbons of red fly behind them. Their target is some where behind the enemy's line.

"I've got a bad feeling about this." Jaina calls to Poe.

"Hey, only happy thoughts." He winks back. "It will work. It has to."

"I still think I should draw out Kylo Ren on my own."

"No, we do this together. Remember, we're a team."

Jaina feels her brother searching for her across the battelfield.

"All right, listen up." Poe calls to everyone. "I don't like these rust buckets and I don't like our odds, but... What the hell?"

Jaina looks over to see a piece of Poe's skimmer fly off.

"You shouldn't insult your equipment." She shakes her head.

He nods. "Just keep it tight and don't get drawn in too close till they roll that cannon out front."

Despite Poe's objection, Jaina reaches out to her brother.

Ben, I have a bargain for you.

There will be no bargaining.

You saw the vision. You can't rule without me and Rey. And the only way you will succeed in getting Rey is with me.

The giant AT-AT's come into view. Jaina holds her breath waiting for her brother's response. She can tell he's mulling over her words. Rey has been able to evade his reach since leaving the ship.

Call off your forces and I'll surrender myself. Mother and the rest of the Resistance will be left in peace.

I will obliterate the Resistance today. Together we will convince Rey of her part with us. I told you, you are weakened by these people. The Dark Triad will rid the galaxy of the anyone who seeks to enslave or weaken us. We will be the final authority in the galaxy.

Jaina's skimmer sways agressively. She grasps the yoke harder struggling to keep it even. Pieces begin to break off like Poe's skimmer. One of the engines explodes and the power begins to decrease.

"NO!" She screams in frustration. "Ben, stop it!"

This is the only way. You should have taken my hand when I offered it. I would have shielded you from watching them die.

The skimmer skids to a stop. She frantically tries to restart it. Poe's voice rings over the radio.

"Jaina? What happen? Are you ok?"

"My skimmer died. I'm trying to restart it. Please, you must pull back..."

The radio cuts off.

"Poe? Poe?!" She realizes Ben must have jammed her transmission. She can only hear the others but she can't communicate with them. Desperate, she jumps out of the skimmer and runs after her friends.