Chapter 61

After things calmed down for the Gummers, Don and Meryl enjoyed their nap until the babies woke them up. Meryl hated to wake Don up when he didn't wake up when the babies started crying, but she promised him she would wake him up, so she wanted to stay true to her promise. She could tell just how exhausted he was now that things had calmed down, and he said his peace with his mother and had his much-needed breakdown and he got the conversation with his father out of the way. He helped Meryl with the babies' feedings and changing, and then he played with the babies while Meryl insisted on fixing lunch. He thought about ordering something in, but with everything that happened with his mother, he worried about letting anyone they didn't know up in their apartment. He told Meryl he wanted to make lunch, but she insisted. She REALLY wanted him to just take it easy with the babies. After eating and playing with the babies some more, they decided to go put the babies down in their cribs in Don and Meryl's room so Don and Meryl could cuddle in bed and fall asleep. Meryl smiled that it didn't take Don long to fall asleep. She hoped he would get the rest he needed.

***

"Suzie girl, that was wonderful." Liz told her daughter after they ate the lunch that Suzie had made and brought over to her and Larry's house. "I'm sorry Daddy had to work."

Mike winked at his granddaughter. "Means more for your grandpa."

"And we get this little cutie all to ourselves." Maggie said as she bounced Lily up and down on her lap. "So, he misses out."

Henry laughed as his wife rolled her eyes at her grandmother. "Are you sure you don't mind watching Lily girl? I just didn't want to ask my parents."

"Of course not." Lizzie said as she refilled everyone's ice tea glasses. "And do you think you can really get her out of her great-grandparents' arms?"

Henry laughed. "No, of course not."

"Have you talked to your parents?" Mike asked concerned. "I have tried both of them this afternoon and haven't heard back. Which isn't like them at all."

"At least not with you two." Henry joked. "Dad called early this morning because he was worried about us. He said mom had a rough night, so I imagine they turned their phones off."

Liz looked at her father-in-law. "I agree with Mike, it's strange. Larry called me during recess from the court asking if we've heard from them. He's worried as well."

"Everything seemed fine." Henry was shrugging it off. "I think they are just trying to unwind after yesterday, and before they have to go back to court with Raymore."

Suzie nodded her head in agreement. "You know how Uncle Don is about Aunt Meryl and all of us kids, he probably insisted they turn the phones off."

"You speak like you know my dad." Henry teased his wife. "I'm sure that's it, Grandpa Mike. They promised me that they would call if they needed anything."

Mike shook his head. "I'm not sure, something just isn't sitting right with me. I don't know why. It is just this feeling I am having."

"I'll get it." Suzie jumped up when she heard her parents' doorbell ring. This was the home she grew up in, and it would always be her home. She was shocked at who she saw on the other side of her parents' door. "Mrs. Gummer?!"

Jane Gummer tried to smile at her grandson's wife. "Please, honey, call me Jane. Or even Grandmother."

"Yeah, I'm much more comfortable calling you MRS. GUMMER. Especially considering how you treat some of the most important people in the world to me, and my HUSBAND, your grandson." When Suzie was old enough and learned how her Uncle Don's family always treated him, it always made her so sad, because he and Meryl were such an important part of her life and family. It also made her glad that her parents and grandparents had always been there for her Uncle Don and Aunt Meryl. "You have been AWFUL to my Uncle Don and Aunt Meryl, and to be honest, you haven't been the grandmother of the year to my husband and sisters-in-love. You are NOT welcome here."