Chapter 28: The Last Chance.

"This is gonna work, Steve."

I take his hand in mine as we sit side by side in the Benatar, on our way to Thanks.

"I know it will"

I could see him holding his compass with an image of Peggy Carter perched inside. He looks at me.

"Cause I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't."

Carol flies up beside us, reaching for her coms.

"No satellites, no ships, no armies, no ground defences of any kind. It's just him. "

And that was enough. Everything happened so fast. We landed and before you know it Captain Marvel had flown through the roof, knocking Thanks down, and grabbing his neck. Bruce in the Hulkbuster armour burst from the ground, and grabbed Thanks Infinity Gauntlet. Thor then flew in and sliced off the Gauntlet . Rhode flew in next with Rocket and aimed guns at Thanks head. Cap walked in with Black Widow and myself behind him, staring murderously at the purple giant. I go over to where the sliced off gauntlet lay, and kicked it over, as everyone realised that there were no stones in it.

"Oh no." 

I backed up from the gauntlet and focused on Thanos. 

"Where are they?" Anger rose in Cap's voice.

Captain Marvel tightened her grip on his neck.

"Answer the question!"

 "The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose, beyond temptation. "

Anger boiled in the pit of my stomach.

"You murdered trillions!"  

He looked amusedly at me.

"You should be grateful." 

I put my face right up to his, my eyes filled with anger and hate for the Titan.

"Where are the Stones?" I spoke between gritted teeth. 

"Gone. Reduced to atoms."

"You used them two days ago!"

 "I used the stones to destroy the stones. It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be."

He sat himself a little straighter

" I am... inevitable."

Rhode sounded as panicked as we felt.

" We have to tear this place apart, he-he-he has to be lying."

Keeping her head high but voice low, Nebula spoke.

"My father is many things. A liar is not one of them."

"Ah, thank you, daughter."

She looks down.

"Perhaps I treated you too harshly."

We saw Thor's face fill with rage as he summoned Stormbreaker, and before anyone of us could stop him, he sliced Thanos' head off. The limp body fell to the floor as Nebula wiped off some of the blood spatter. I couldn't keep my eyes off his head.

"Well that's the end of that purple grapefruit."

And then there's Rocket:

"What......what did you do?!"

Thor looked broken as he realized what he had just done.

"I went for the head."

Slowly he walked out of the shed, no real purpose in his step as we are all left wondering the same thing.

What happens now?

___________________________________