X

Is your heart singing out of tuneAre your eyes just singing the bluesDirty records from another timeSome blood stains on your shoes

Are your eyes just singing the blues
Dirty records from another time
Some blood stains on your shoes

Music had always been the one thing that could snap Arden out of a panic attack. It wasn't like some magical switch. More like a reset button. It allowed her mind to slow down, think, and reboot. Music was a constant in her life. Music were the words that the heart spoke. The melodies that conveyed emotions.

No one really knows about your soul
And I barely really know your name
Burning rhythms and posting lies
And a bunch of fools drown in shame

It was what always centered her. The music was her anchor in a sea of panic and disarray. Something she could trust.

Amy don't you go
I want you around
Singin' woah, please don't go
Do you wanna be a friend of mine?

The team was interviewing Kyle Scott. The man who had violated her so many years ago. The man who had fueled a self hatred for herself. The man who had made it hard as hell for her to find a way to reclaim her sexuality because everywhere she went she saw him. His ghost. The haunting of his breath against her skin. The sick crawling feeling on her skin. The feel of self hatred. The feeling that she would never feel clean again.

Did you tattoo a lucky charm
To keep you out of harms way?
Warding off all evil signs
But it never really kept you safe

Arden had fought through hell and high water to reclaim her own body for herself. To kill any negative thought. Any feeling of self doubt. She channeled that rage and turned it into fuel. He was nothing. He had been a robber who violated the sanctity of her own body but that did not make her any less worthy. It did not mean that she got over it completely. No. Those memories still haunted her on her darkest days. They were the spectors in the night that never truly left.

Now you're too young for the golden age
'Cause the record bin's been replaced
Twenty seven, gone without a trace
And you walked away from your drink

She had survived. She was not a victim but a survivor. She was stronger than the person who attacked her. Strong enough to love herself. Maybe finally she could have some closure. The most haunting part had been not seeing him in prison. And now? He was going to get locked up for murder. Justice was a dish best served cold with a side dish of karma.

May I have this last dance
By chance if we should meet?
Can you write me a lullaby?
So we can sing you to sleep

It was the end to that chapter in her life. The missing piece. The ending she needed. Of course it wasn't over. It never truly was. Sometimes the demons crawled out on dark nights. But at least now she knew that she could take them. Arden Carter was a warrior. A fighter. A hero. But most importantly she was kind. She had managed to maintain her humanity. What did he have? He had nothing. Without love we are nothing. Love makes us human. Someone capable of those acts did not feel love, for if that wasn't the case, then how could they live with themselves?