XXIII

The trio were sitting in an isolated room away from the group

The trio were sitting in an isolated room away from the group. Arden made sure to stay close to Reid. If there was an emergency she wanted to make sure that Reid was within reach. There was no doubt in her mind that Prentiss would be able to fend for herself. Reid? She didn't want to take her chances. 

"I told you not to put me in this position," Cyrus yelled as he entered the room. They were all confused. "Now who is the FBI agent?!"

"W-what makes you think one of us is an FBI agent," Reid stuttered.

Cyrus immediately drew a gun and clicked off the safety. Arden remained calm and composed as he pointed the gun at Reid. "God must forgive me for what I must do."

"It's me," Prentiss blurted out. "I'm the FBI agent. Leave him alone."

Arden shook her head. "She's lying. It's alright Emily, you don't have to protect me."

She saw as Cyrus's face became unreadable. She knew he was conflicted and that was how she knew that the news had said one, singular. He viewed himself as a righteous man, he wouldn't punish an innocent. "I pray the Lord gives me the wisdom to discern who the liar here is. There is only one agent."

"Acts 3:19, repent, the, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord," Arden quoted. It was a longshot, but maybe she could appeal to him with religion and repentance. "I came here to find salvation."

Cyrus looked at her with a look that was as hard as stone. "I ask again, here before God, are you the FBI agent?"

Arden looked him straight in the eyes and replied, "Yes, I am. These two have nothing to do with me. They work for the state."

"I appreciate your honesty, but that won't save you," Cyrus responded. 

Arden saw him reach to grab her by the hair. She dodged and glared at him. "I can walk by myself."

"Pride comes before the fall."

 Arden was escorted to a room where it was just her and Cyrus. The guards were outside. She tried to read him. "How could you put me in this position," he shouted. ""I trusted you. We welcomed you in our home."

Cyrus took a swing at him. He was slow which made it easy for her to dodge. She shouldn't have done that. He became more aggressive and she stood on the defensive side. Arden didn't want his punches to land, but she knew that antagonizing him would get her nowhere.

"I can take it," she said in a calm tone. Arden knew the team was listening in. That Aaron was listening.

Cyrus just looked at her before throwing her to the ground. "Pride comes before the fall. Blows cleanse all wounds."

"I can take it," she repeated before allowing Cyrus to throw her around like a rag doll. Her only satisfaction was allowing herself to dodge a few of his hits. But that had only lengthened the time he spent with her in that room.