XVIII

Little was thought of when Arden entered Sean's apartment

Little was thought of when Arden entered Sean's apartment. She expected a tiny apartment with the price that rent was in New York but was greeted with a nice apartment.

"Aaron helps me with rent. I've been saving up for law school," Sean explained.

Arden said, "I have a confession to make."

Sean was puzzled. "What kind of confession?"

"After Aaron divorced Haley he's been living with me and we sort of have become roommates," she word vomited. Of course she would leave out the part about her fucking his brother. That would be a bad start.

Sean chuckled, "So you're the friend Aaron said he was staying with. I knew it was you. Arden is a gender neutral name and I didn't put two and two together until I met you. Sorry I didn't say anything. Seemed more like a third date kind of thing."

Arden wanted to laugh at how ridiculous this whole situation was. If this was Aaron she would already have him pinned down in a heartbeat. But this was Sean. Gentle Sean who touched her like she was the most precious thing in the world.

"You can put your stuff in the bedroom. I'll take the convertible sofa," Sean told her.

Arden protested, "No, I couldn't possibly kick you out of your own bed. That would be beyond rude."

"No. I insist."

"Please Sean?"

"No."

"We can share the bed," she proposed. "I don't kick in my sleep or snore. You won't even know I'm there."

Sean sighed, "Arden you are way too trusting of me."

"And? You forget I'm an FBI agent. I've beat Morgan in hand to hand combat multiple times. Trust me. If you or anyone tried something I would be able to defend myself," she replied.

"I want to be a gentleman. But you're making it hard. Please let me take the couch. I don't think I'll be able to control myself otherwise. I'd rather get to know you better first before this progresses to that stage."

Arden nodded, "I understand. But I'm taking the couch."

"You're the guest."

"Sean please."

Her signature pout was irresistible to all. Sean gave in, "Fine, but only because I don't want to argue any longer."

Arden grinned with triumph. "So what does Sean Hotchner's day to day life look like?"

"I work at a restaurant. The night shift. The diner in DC was a job I was interviewing for."

"So you're committed to finishing law school."

"What can I say? You make me want to finish what I started."

If only he knew the truth. Then he wouldn't be saying these kinds of things. Arden wasn't a good person. She was selfish and manipulative. She wanted to yell and tell Sean to be careful because she would do anything it took to survive. It was rooted deep in her subconscious. Fight or die.