Epilogue - One Year After

Last chapter, the story is finally coming to an end. Enjoy!

It was the 27th November, 2020. If it was a year earlier and things didn't go to shit, it would've been a celebration. But, things did go to shit the year before this one.

This was least a celebration for the birthday boy himself. Luigi had spent the last year wallowing over what happened, eating minimal amounts and never leaving his room. He lived in the castle, in the top room. Barely anyone had seen nor heard from the only living Mario brother since the day after the killings occurred. It was clear to the entire kingdom how hard the events hit him. Since he never left his room, the doctors couldn't run tests, however they knew with great certainty that he was suffering from severe PTSD. He would often experience nightmares of reliving the night, causing him to awaken in a cold sweat, violently shaking. Something he made sure not to do was let anyone into his life that wasn't there for him before the murders. That way, he couldn't get hurt like that again.

Yoshi managed to live the most normal life after the events of the 27th November 2019. He worked a 9-5 at a supermarket and continued to live at his house. He did take some security measures, however, and bought a handgun in case of emergencies. Although, like Luigi, he tended to get nightmares of the murderous affair. Yoshi went to therapy though, and he recovered from the mental trauma somewhat. He met a lot of new people through his job and made new friends, eventually meeting up with and dating an old friend from his high school named Pauline. Due to being out a lot, he was brought under the public eye and asked to show his scar from the gunshot wound so they can have even more damning evidence against the killers. He always refused. The dinosaur still wore hoodies all the time, as he felt humiliated by the scar.

Princess Peach never lived much of a normal life. She was thrust in charge of the Mushroom Kingdom at a young age and has been a mass public figure for most of her life. The events of the 27th November 2019 didn't help at all. People called her weak, unworthy to rule the kingdom. Her life changed the least, she just had less loyalists as a result of what happened that night. One thing that was needed, though, was definitive proof of what happened. Luckily, she knew who would have it.

At 7:30 am, she knocked on the door of Luigi's bedroom. It was the only chance she had. Either he needed to leave that room or he'd have to let someone in.

"Luigi?" Peach smiled hopefully. "Are you okay?"

Luigi sighed on the other side of the door. "I'm fine. Why does it matter anyway?"

Peach's smile died down. "Because I care about you. You know you're much better than Red Luigi, right?"

"From the blood the last night my brother was alive, I was a red Luigi." He sighed again, deeper the second time. "I'm not worth your time, Princess."

Peach felt disheartened by his response, she knew his pain. But she wasn't giving up on him like so many others have. "Luigi Mario, you will open that door and look your kingdom's ruler in the eyes right now and talk to me!"

Luigi complied and opened the door. He looked a horrible shell of his former self. He had a messy beard of the same colour as his moustache, he had gained a few pounds of weight and his eyes were bloodshot. He held a bottle of beer in his hand and looked at her, ashamed. "Happy now? You've seen the disgusting creature I've become."

Peach tutted. "You are not disgusting, Luigi Mario. You are the hero! You saved me and Yoshi!"

The plumber sighed. "At what cost..." He met Peach's eyes for the first time in the exchange. "I may have been the hero, but I was the hero of a story I didn't want to be a part of. In fact, I can't even call myself a hero. Heroes save everyone... and I saved close to no one. I failed, your highness."