ו Chapter 5 •×

Ponyboy ran home to Sodapop to tell him what happened.

"Sodapop! What did you do"?

Sodapop looked up from his arm wrestle with Steve " I do a lot of stuff, but tell me what I did this time. "

Ponyboy stared at him in disbelief. "You got with Mr. Pancetta 's daughter."

Sodapop laughed "Who told you that"?

Ponyboy crossed his arms "No one, there is pictures"!

Sodapop smiled "Ponyboy stop trying to skip school."

Ponyboy shook Sodapop by his shoulders "Was Melanie Pancetta on top of you ever"?

Sodapop nodded "Well yeah yesterday I accidentally knocked her over and -"

Two-Bit burst in "Sodapop please don't be mad."

Sodapop replied "Why would I be mad"?

Two-Bit rubbed his neck "I may have accidentally vandalized the school with a picture of you and uh -"

Sodapop went pale "Melanie Pancetta" ?

Two-Bit looked down "Uh Yeah."

Sodapop gasped "Two-Bit what the hell"?!

Steve laughed "Congratulations Sodapop, never that you'd be able to get her but you did."

Sodapop replied "Steve not now."

Steve continued eating cake "So what are you gonna do now" ?

××××Downtown××××

At the moment Melanie was walking downtown. Melly was hiding in a black jacket and black pants. No one would recognize her in clothes this color.

"Melly wait" !

She looked up and saw Sodapop running up to her "Did you do this in purpose"? She questioned.

Sodapop shook his head "I am just as clueless as you are about it."

Melanie stated harshly into his eyes "Who did this"?

Sodapop replied "Please don't get mad. It was a friend of mine."

Melly nodded "Of course it is. Only Greasers would want to ruin a SOCS reputation."

She started to walk away but Sodapop grabbed her arm " Wait just listen. "

Melanie glared at him "No you listen. You leave me alone and don't talk to me eve again."

Sodapop let go of her arm "We can fix this."

Melanie scoffed "Maybe you can just pull me in top of you again. That would fix the whole entire situation."

Sodapop frowned "We really can, you helped me. Now I owe you a hand."

Melanie crossed her arms "If you really want to help then just leave me alone."

She walked off with Sodapop yelling "I have something that will change the gossip to another SOC , One you hate."

Melly kept walking "Just stop."

Sodapop yelled back "I can't believe you are gonna make me do this."

Melanie turned around but before she could escape Sodapop picked her up. "What are you doing"?

Sodapop kept carrying her "If you won't let me talk than I guess I'm gonna have to -"

Melanie started to slip out of his grip "Let go of me."

Sodapop tightened his grip and led her to Bucks. "One of my friends will make you talk."

Melanie glared at him "No one. Absolutely no one will make me talk."

••••Bucks••••

"Talk or I will do it ." Demanded Dally. He held a lit cigarette to Mellys mouth while Sodapop held her down.

Melanie squirmed "You threatening me with a cigarette does not scare me."

Dally laughed "Okay then." He put it in Mellys mouth and she broke out into coughs .

Sodapop slapped Dallys hand away "Melly are you okay"?

Melanie glared at Sodapop "You (cough) are (cough) a (double cough) son of a bitc-(cough)" !

Dally laughed "Woah a SOC cussing, so rebellious."

Sodapop rolled his eyes at Dally " Melly I'm sorry that it had to come to this, Will you please talk now"?

Melanie muttered "Fine. What do you want me to say"?

Sodapop smiled "That you know that I had no fault in this."

Melanie replied "You have no fault in this."

Sodapop continued "And that you still see me as a friend."

Melly nodded "And I still see you as a friend."

Sodapop grinned "And that we will get through this together."

Melanie looked away "And that we will get through this together."

Sodapop let go of her "Good. Now let's get to work."

Dally waved "Hope you enjoyed the smoke."

Melly glared "Shut up."

Sodapop walked with Melanie back to the DX. Every now and then one of the two would apologize for touching the other person. Melanie went into the bathroom and changed into her DX shirt and skirt. She took her spot behind the counter. Sodapop was outside pumping has for customers.

As soon as it was 5, Melly started to lock up. She was about to leave when she saw pounding on the window. She realized that she had locked Sodapop in side. She dashed to the door and unlocked it "Oh my God, I am so sorry."

Sodapop laughed it off "Its okay."

Melanie started to walk off but Sodapop told her "Want me to walk you home" ?

Melly wanted to say no ,but Sodapop 's smile convinced her to say yes. "Yeah sure."

The breeze flew in and Sodapop said "Want my jacket" ?

Melanie gladly took it "Thanks."

Sodapop replied "So does your dad know over you and uh me. The painting ."

Melanie shook her head "He doesn't really care about my love life. As long as I keep up his reputation. After my brother died, he loosened up on his worry over me."

Sodapop nodded "I'm sorry about that. Well I guess it's good not to have your parents worry about you that much."

Melanie responded "Well my parents just think if I have money I will be happy."

Sodapop rubbed his neck "Are you"?

Melanie shook her head "No. I use to love hanging out with my brother and his friends. Her wasted money faster than he got it. Now my Brother's friends just want to date me."

Sodapop blurt out accidentally "Do you have a boyfriend"?

Melanie laughed it off "No. I guess I am always to protective over myself now, I don't want to lose my life. Like my brother."

Sodapop nodded "Yeah, but you can't just block yourself from the world, sometimes you just have to risk it."

Melanie questioned "Risk it"?

Sodapop smiled "Yeah."

Melanie shook her head "What do you mean"?

Sodapop raised an eyebrow "I will show you" He leaned in and kissed Melly. He pulled Melly closer to him and ran his fingers through her hair.