Chapter 11

POV : Alyssa

-Girls I can't do this tonight. I say.

At the back of the room, standing onthe stage, singing his heart out, is Shawn Mendes. There is no way I can perform with a worldwide famous pop star in the room. And especially since I am supposed to sing HIS songs !

-OH MY GOD ! IS THAT SHAWN MENDES ??? Helen screams overexcitedly. That's so cool !

-Well, that was unexpected... Jennifer says.

She takes my hand and she orders four beers for us.

-Here, take one, she says, handing me a glass. I think you'll need it.

-There is no way I can do that... I just can't.

-You will have to !

-I prepared his songs ! I can't ! I'll be ridiculous ! And... what if he recognises me ?

-I'm sure you will be okay. He'll probably be super happy to hear someone sing his songs !

-No no no... No way...

I turn towards the stage to look at him. He is so handsome. He simply wears a burgundy shirt and black skinny jeans. He looks sincerely happy to perform « Shape of you » from Ed Sheeran. I can't get over his voice, he sings so well ! I wish I could sing like him...

-Here you are girls ! I hear behind me.

-Sam ! Did you know Shawn Mendes was performing tonight ? I ask angrily.

-Wowow calm down ! No I didn't. Well, I didn't know when I asked you to perform. I only knew once you already registered.

-But why didn't you tell me then ?

-Because I knew that if I did, you wouldn't have come !

-I hate you ! I say, jokingly.

-Come on... you're still gonna perform, right ?

-Of course not !

-Listen Alyssa. He only performed Ed Sheeran songs. No one sang his songs tonight. It'll be so cool if you sing for him !

-No one ? Were there other performers ?

-Some people came on stage before him,yes, but they weren't so good. I swear !

-Yeah ! True ! They weren't ! Alex agrees next to him. So come on, please get on stage... he says, with puppy eyes.

-Okay fine. But if my voice trembles, it's your fault !

-I'll completely assume. You're gonna rock ! He says, giving me a tight hug. Thank you !

We finish our beers and watch Shawn perform in front of us. I can't get my eyes off him. He always looks at the crowd when he sings, but thankfully he didn't recognise me yet. And I secretly hope he won't. He announces he'll sing one last song, and my hands start shaking. Is he gonna ask for volunteers ? Will I manage to get on stage ? Of course not...

Next to me, Sam leaves and comes back with my guitar in his hands.

-It'll be your turn next...

-I can't do this...

-I heard you sing, I know you can !

On stage, Shawn sings his last note.

-That was amazing ! Thank you everyone ! He says. Are there any volunteers that would like to take my place ?

Sam raises his hand and Shawn stares at him.

-Sure ! Come here ! He says.

Behind me, Jennifer and Helen push me gently forwards and I don't have the choice anymore... I feel everyone staring at me as I walk forward. Come one Alyssa... One step after another...