Part 2, last chapter

POV : Alyssa.

-What happened to you Alyssa? Oscar asks, seeing my bruise as he sits down at the lunch table with James and I.

-She got assaulted in a parc yesterday night. Thank god I was able to save her in time! James lies.

I have no choice but to accept to be his «girlfriend». Shawn and I talked about that. He told me to do it for a few days, as long as I don't end up at James' house, and that he'd figure something out. I honestly don't know what he can do since he's in Toronto but anyway. What can I do? The good news is that today is our last day of school, so I won't have to bear James in class anymore, but I am scared of what he wants to do at the end of the day...

Under the table, I feel James' hand laying on my thigh and slowly getting higher, which makes me so uncomfortable.

-I need to go, I have class. I say, quickly getting up and grabbing my tray.

-I come with you. James says, grabbing my wrist so I won't leave.

-Fine.

I walk out of the cantine as fast as I can but he keeps up with me, and once we stored away our trays, he puts his arm around my waist.

-Hey Alyssa! Diane calls across the hall. How are you? I didn't see you yesterday, I was worried.

-I'm okay. I answer quickly, looking away.

-So... are you two dating? She asks, seeing Jame's hand in my back.

-Yes! She is my girlfriend! He answers, kissing my cheek.

-Nice. Will you sit with me in class this afternoon Alyssa?

I am about to agree, as it would give me some rest from being stuck with James all the time, but he cuts me off.

-Sorry, she'll be staying with me.

Then he grabs my hand and drags me towards the classroom, as I turn around and give my friend a sorry look.

***

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket but James is luckily concentrating on the lesson so he doesn't notice. Hoping it's a text from Shawn, I look at the screen.

Diane : « Hey Alyssa, are you sure you are okay ? You didn't seem very comfortable back in the hallway... you sure everything's fine?»

I look up at her and see her giving me a worried look across the room.

Diane : « You can talk to me about it. »

Next to me, James didn't notice, so I type a quick response.

« it's not ok. James forced me into the relationship.»

« I see. He said you lied about your boyfriend in Canada...»

« He doesn't believe me. But it is true !»

« Does your bf know ?»

« I talked about it with him...»

« Good ! I say we meet after the lesson. Come at home! Then HE won't have you»

-Who's that ? James asks, finally noticing I am on my phone.

-Diane.

-Cut it off. He says annoyingly.

-She invited me at the end of the class.

-No way you are going !

-James you can't control my life! I am not yours!

-Like hell you are ! He says, grabbing my wrist strongly and hurting me. After the class, you are coming with ME and we will finish what we started the other night. And don't try to fight back or you will regret it!

Around us, the pupils are getting annoyed by the noise he causes and I can't reply without creating a fuss. What am I going to do to avoid that??

The bell rings and all the students stand up shouting «HOLIDAYYYYYS !». I should be happy with them, no more school, going to Toronto next year, but when I think of tonight, I just can't be happy.

-Holidays !!! Diane yells, coming to hug me.

-Holidays !! Anna yells too.

Everyone is shouting and dancing and I seize the moment to slip out of class with my friends and get lost in the flood of pupils. I try to hide myself but a hand suddenly grabs my arm and pulls me back.

-You think you could slip away from me... James says, holding me close against his chest.

-Can she come to my flat tonight? Diane asks. We want to celebrate the holidays together.

-Sorry but she'll be celebrating with me.

-Come on ! Just a night !

Diane tries to help me as much as she can but I can see James won't let go. He pushes my friends away and drags me out of the building. I try to let go of him but he has an arm round my waist and a hand holding mine. Stuck to his chest, there is nothing I can do.

Walking past the doors, I can see from the top of the stairs a huge group of pupils in front of the gates.

-What the hell is going on? James asks.

-They are celebrating the holidays.

-No. There is too much fuss. There is more than that.

We stopped at the top of the stairs so I take a moment to look closer. People are screaming, shouting, but I can't hear what they say. I can see flashes of cellphones taking pictures. Why are there so many people gathered in front of the gates? On the parking lot, I can see a big black SUV. No way. My heart races faster and faster as I stare at the gathering, looking for someone in the croud. And that's when my heart skips a beat.

-SHAWN !! I yell, pushing James away and running down the stairs.

At the gates, the croud divides itself as he walks through them and I can finally see him.

-Alyssa ! He says, as I run towards him and jump in his arms.

-You are here ! You came!

-Oh Alyssa I am so sorry all this happened to you...

I look at him, his brown eyes I missed so much... I let my fingers run through his hair like I used to do, he bends down, and let our lips meet, for the first time in a year. He holds me close and tight, I feel his muscles through his shirt and I finally feel safe in his arms. Next to me, I can see James staring at us, his jaw dropping. Shawn looks in his direction and immediatly guesses who he is.

-Come on darling, let's go. He gently says, proving James that I am his.

-Hold on.

Diane and Anna come and I give them one last hug before walking to Shawn's suv, in front of the hundreds of stunned pupils that didn't believe me all this time.

-Hey, Shawn says once the doors are closed and the engine is roaring. I told you : « I promise that one day I'll be around, I'll keep you safe, I'll keep you sound... »

THE END