Arachnids

Edelweiss exited through the door with them, but instead of returning to the castle she went straight to the Forbidden Forest. Still in her fox form she sniffed out a trail of spiders, returning to their hollow. As she slunk into the giant hollow, the giant Acromantula emerged from his web nest.

"What might you be doing here, little Animagus?" He asked and Edelweiss morphed back into her human form.

"My name is Edelweiss Prince. You are one of Hagrid's children, aren't you?" She asked softly, knowing the arachnid could hear her.

"I suppose that's a way to describe our relationship. Now to repeat my question, what are you doing in my hollow?" He repeated, Edelweiss bowed her head.

"I was wondering if you might be able to tell me how you sense the creature that resides in the castle's depths." She questioned politely, "Because too many people are getting hurt over it and now Hagrid has been blamed for the creature's actions. Finding it is my only way of stopping it." She said, her voice firm.

"You want to know about that creature? That horrifying beast?!" The Acromantula reared onto its back legs.

"I want to know how you sense it? If it is your natural enemy then you must be able to sense it coming so you can avoid it." She quipped back, taking the spider by surprise.

"My name is Aragog, it was given to me by Hagrid. Why should I tell you, who I owe nothing?" He asked, clicking between words.

"Because you want that creature out of the castle and because it's to clear Hagrid's name. No matter how you act you care for him. If this continues you'll never see him again and even if you do he won't be the same, he's going to Azkaban, with the dementors." She reasoned and then added, "Also don't bother offering me to your brethren, they won't be able to catch me." Aragog looked surprised, a strange emotion to see on an Acromantula.

"I see... we sense the snake coming with our feelers. The smaller of my relatives cling to the walls in the castle, they feel its vibrations in the pipes, and flee as quickly as possible. Now I recommend you go, my children are hungry and I won't be able to stop them from trying to catch you if you stay any longer." He said, "Clear Hagrid's name," Edelweiss smiled a cunning smile,

"But of course." She folded her body into her fox form and took off back to the castle, entering the Room Of Requirement she turned herself back and went to sleep on a bean bag. 

The next day word had gotten around that Dumbledore was gone. Draco was semi-pleased, proud that his father had accomplished such a task but ashamed because of Edelweiss's explanation of how his father accomplished the task. Edelweiss went to her uncle's office to talk to him about what she'd learned. He let her into the office with no questions and they sat down in front of the fireplace.

"I was there when Lucius chased Hagrid out, Professor Dumbledore knew Harry and Ron were there too." She told him, his eyes widened at the revelation that Harry and Ron were present for the event.

"What in Merlin's name happened?" He questioned and she sank into her chair exhausted.

"Lucius, he convinced the governors to sign a document removing him. They sent Hagrid to Azkaban." She told him her eyes downcast.

"Del." Severus's voice was soft, which was unusual for the potions master. "What else happened? I can tell that you aren't telling me everything." She sighed.

"He'd been speaking to Harry and Ronald, but Hagrid said if someone wanted more information to follow the spiders." Severus looked confused.

"What does that mean? Why would spiders have anything to do with the Chamber?" He questioned and Edelweiss conjured two mugs of cider.

"The creature that the Ministry thinks did this, is the Acromantula that Hagrid kept in the castle 50 years ago. I assumed that he meant to find the spider and ask about what happened but then I remembered, 'Spiders flee before it.' From the book, Spiders fear the Basilisk." She said sipping her hot cider. "I tracked the trail of spiders into the Forbidden Forest." Severus inhaled sharply.

"I've told you time and time again not to do stupid things." He scowled and she gave him a glare.

"I had to, and I can take care of myself." Severus clenched his jaw in irritation but held his tongue.

"Continue."

"The Acromantula, Aragog, told me, after a bit of bargaining, that the spiders sense the snake coming through their feelers." Edelweiss said and gave it a moment to sink in.

"So, they feel it coming and flee? That doesn't explain much." She gave him a trickster's grin.

"But it does, the spiders in the castle cling to the walls, they feel it through the wall, it's in the pipes. It's a magical creature, it can probably shrink its size to fit, and then pops it's head out, petrifies someone then goes back to the Chamber." Severus's eyes widened.

"I'll inform Minerva, she'll find a way to inform Dumbledore. We'll get this sorted out." He said standing up. As he walked past her he placed a hand on her shoulder. "You look like you haven't seen a proper bed in ages." He snapped, keeping the concern out of his voice.

"Thanks Uncle Sev." She said before making her way up to her common room and going to sleep on a proper bed.