4

I swallowed and walked up to my mother. We had not talked much since my father died. He'd been trampled by buffalo. My mother was extremely close to him and hardly talked at all now.

Her fur was aging and turning grey, her eyes were always half closed and hardly listened to anyone. "Mother," I found her under a shade.

She looked up slowly and her eyes widened. "Mbali, second matriarch." She smiled warmly.

I was stunned. I hadn't seen her smile before. "Y-you know?"

"Of course! You're my only cub alive and I love you! I know everything!" Her eyes were wider now, I could see her purple eyes clearly.

"Then how come you never shown...any effort!" I barked, anger rising inside of me. "You've been sitting here all day, didn't even congratulate me! You had me come to you!"

Her eyes saddened. "Only if you'd understand—"

I cut her off, too angry to listen. "I know everyone is gone, but get over it! You'll see them again one day so stop moping around for once. I'm your only cub alive! You should start acting like it!" I whipped around and stalked away.

Many lower ranked males were staring but said nothing. The sky was purple and in the dark I saw Abena's eyes gleam. They were inviting me and I knew we had to talk.

She looked at me disappointed. "I will try not to get into any family issues but your mother..."

"I know." I growled, looking away.

"No, Mbali. Your mother is sick."

Many emotions hit me at once. All I could squeak out was, "what...?"

"When your sister and father passed, and your brother left, the healers diagnosed her with a sickness caused by sadness. It's not contagious but it makes her sick and infects her health. It may be fatal."

Tears blinded me and I looked down as I blinked and one fell to the floor. I nodded my thanks and padded heavily to the spot my mother was at.

She was laying down, her head on her paws and her eyes were closed. I laid at her side and heard her give a soft grunt and a whimper. I licked her ear and rested beside her, falling in rhythm with her breathing.

...

The next morning, Jaka nudged me, his eyes glowing. "Want to come with me on patrol?"

I groaned tiredly and sat up, looking at my mother before nodding. He padded beside me and i scooted a bit away from him. "I'm taking my sister, Kaula."

"No one else?" I asked.

"It's a patrol we don't need that many." He replied.

I liked Kaula right away. She was Second Matriarch and right when I met her, I knew we were best friends. Kaula was a light brown with dark spots. She looked a lot like me but had white the faded at her paws. She reminded me of my sister... Kaula was bouncy and bubbly she seemed to always be happy and I respected that. She was the sister of Jaka. I wondered why she and Jaka weren't in the same ranks but when I asked her, she'd always change the subject.

"I can't wait for the gathering!" Kaula yelped happily.

"What's that?" I asked curiously as I scratched the ground and sat down on it.

"You've never heard of the gathering?" Jaka snorted.

I shook my head.

Jaka signed "Every year, all the tribes meet together—"