15

I woke up to the smell of meat in my face. I wagged my tail and tried to sit up then everything came back and hit me at once. Pain flashed through my mind and I gave out a help of pain and collapsed back down.

I was in the healer's den. Herbs and spices filled my nose and paste had been applied to my wounds.

Across the den, I could see Ellone. She was still bleeding and twitching badly. Guilt flooded me and I felt horrible. I remember tearing off her ear but it was all worth it. I had to do it. I had to. No matter what. Something was always trying to stop me and my dreams.

A skinny male walked over and lowered his head. "You should rest. You will be in here a while." He nudged the meat closer to me.

I whimpered a thanks and ate it gratefully.

"Is there anyone you would like to see?" He asked.

I wagged my tail weakly. "Yes please. Iyo, Jenue, and Bee."

He nodded and left the cave and soon returned with my requested hyenas. The healer went back to examine Ellone.

My friends looked at me like I was a freak. I didn't like that. Maybe I shouldn't have called them. Maybe—

Bee rushed forward and nuzzled me. "I thought you were going to die!" She sobbed, tears streaming down her snout.

"It was so unlike you..." Jenue's voice was cold and dark, looking at me like a new hyena.

"It was so scary!" Bee cried. "I was for sure you were done for but you surprised us all!"

"Promise me you won't do it again?" Jenue looked at me.

"What?" I grumbled.

"Promise me you won't fight to move up a rank." She touched my nose.

I frowned but figured it was the best choice. "I promise."

"We're glad you're ok." Bee said and I looked at Iyo. His gaze was troubled and he didn't even look at me. My heart dropped sadly.

"Thank you."

"We better get going." Jenue said, nudging Bee and Iyo.

"I'll be right there." Iyo mumbled. Bee gave me one last hug before slowly walking after her. Iyo finally looked at me with tears in his eyes. "That was the most stupidest thing I've ever seen."

I rolled my eyes, not wanting to get worked up. "I'm aware."

"Do you know what I've do if—If—" his words were chocked by sobs and he looked away for a second. His voice dropped down to a whisper. "Mbali I don't know what I'd do if you died."

I frowned and rested my head on my paws. I didn't know I'd hurt him this much. Something inside of me sparked. Something warm and fuzzy. Making me want to spend every single second of the day with him.

All I could do was whimper. I was feeling tired already but I wanted for him to stay with me. He laid at my side and started to lick my wounds. "I love you, Mbali." His voice was a faint whisper but I heard.

I managed to cough out: "I love you too."