5

Laughter woke me up. My eyes flew wide open and I looked around wildly. Flashes of fur and golden appeared everywhere. Lions were attacking the camp! I leaped to my paws and counted at least four.

I howled in bewilderment and shock as a lion rammed into me and sent me tumbling. I leaped up and gasped and barley managed to dodge a second blow. Jaka leaped on its back, nipping and bitting furiously.

I scrambled up and was about to launch a blow when I saw a small lioness sneak up on Abena who was snarling at a lion fighting two male hyenas.

The lion pounced. Abena turned around, her eyes were wide with terror. I launched myself at the lion, knocking it to the side.

The fell to the ground, surprised. Thankfulness shone in her eyes as we both turned to attack the lion.

...

The lions saw that they were outnumbered and eventually retreated. We were in worse shape than ever. We all limped and had scars and bruises.

I went to see if my mother was well and saw that she had a few scratches but survived. I checked on the cubs and they were safe, hiding in the den.

Only two hyenas died, including Kaula and another second matriarch female.

I caught Jaka's eyes and have him a look of gratitude before checking on others.

"Mbali." Lesedi's bark called out.

I walked over, and dipped my head respectively.

Abena was beside her, shaking as if she had not recovered from the shock that her life flashed before her eyes.

Lesedi smiled warmly and I saw a trickle of blood run down her ear. "Mbali third matriarch." Abena gave a look of pride. "You saved her life bravely."

I smiled happily and my tail wagged uncontrollably. "Thank you." I blurted and as soon as I was dismissed, ran over to my mother.

...

For the first few days, I slept with Jaka. He was the only hyena I knew in third matriarch. Everywhere I went, I shown pride. I was very proud of myself for becoming third matriarch. I was actually deciding to move to the Nakato tribe now. I was third matriarch so I could do it now. There was two things stopping me. My mother was already sad from loss and if I left that would make it worse. Also, I wouldn't want to miss the gathering, Kaula was talking about. Only third matriarch could go so I had to be patient and wait.

Over the months, Jaka seemed to be around me more often. I was third matriarch now and Jaka could ask me to be his mate. I wouldn't want to. I saw him only as a friend and that's it. The thought of me and Jaka made a pit in my stomach and made me laugh.

...

The gathering is tomorrow now and I am ready. I'm ready to go and meet and learn about the new tribes and hyenas. I wished Kaula could go with me and I remembered how she wanted to go so bad.