7

As the days dragged on, I made my decision. I trotted up to my mother and bent down. "Mother, I'm joining Nakato."

Her eyes flew open. "I'm so proud of you!" She gave a smile. That was the most energy I've even seen her with.

"Really?" I licked her nose.

"Yes, of course! I'm proud of you and your pups will be in a higher tribe now!" She smiled. "I'm glad you wanted to move up. I have to say I am quite embarrassed that I raised you in the tribe."

All I could do was smile.

"Just come visit sometime!" She asked.

"I promise I will," I nodded and went off and visited the cubs. I said my goodbyes and approached Jaka.

"Jaka," I said. "I'm joining Nakato."

His eyes were wide with shock and they were hurt. "You're leaving?" He whispered.

"Come with me! You're third matriarch!" I wagged my tail.

He avoided my gaze and he looked at the ground. "No. I need to stay."

"No you don't!" I urdged.

He didn't reply but have a silent nod.

I trotted up to Lesedi and Abena and asked them. Abena smiled warmly with pride and Lesedi nodded in approval.

"I agree and think that you are worthy and proved yourself to move up. you came from first matriarch to third and now moving to a higher tribe." Lesedi said, Abena nodding in agreement. "They are located on the other side of the east plains. Safe travels and watch out for lions."

I walked out quickly, excited for what awaited me in my new tribe. I was also sad I was leaving so much behind. The tribe I was born in.

"Mbali!" I heard Jaka. The tall grass parted and he ran through and touched my nose. "I'll take you there."

Our journey wasn't that long but we walked slow and I believe Jaka did that on purpose. We talked and talked as if it was the last time I was to see him. He seemed really sad that I was leaving and I'd miss him a lot. I was heading to a new tribe that I knew nobody and it was quite scary.

Jaka stopped. "Well, this is it." We we're looking at a trench entrance and I could smell and hear several hyenas in there.

"Bye Jaka." We rested our heads on each other's shoulders for a moment then I withdrew and quick trotted into the trench, giving Jaka one last look before I disappeared out of his sight.

The trench was spacious and had many ledges to lay on. Hyenas started at me curiously as I enter, my head high. The trench grew quiet and I quickly spotted Nakato. I trotted to her and dipped my head.

"A Lesedi eh?" She plucked at a bone between her paws.

"Yes—" I got cut off.

"Wrong!" She roared. "You're part of my tribe now, congratulations."

I smiled happily. She seemed nice. I looked around and tried to find some who I could make friends with. I saw Jenue, the dark female from the gathering.

I trotted over to her, smiling. "Jenue!"

She wagged her tail happily. "You made it! I'm happy for you!"

"Thank you." I paused and looked around. Everyone seemed so well fed and...equal. "Where do the first matriarch sleep?"

"Where ever." She replied. "There's not enough space for splitting up. And it's pointless, we all know what matriarch we are in."

I flicked my ear uncomfortably. Everything was so different now. It seemed lazy to me but I didn't complain.