17

Moons had passed and I was loosing hope. I was afraid that I was staying in this tribe forever. Mother said never give up but no matter what I did worked. They never moved me up a matriarch and I now realized I had to do something AMAZING. I just wasn't sure what that was yet.

...

Everyone woke to a screaming. Every hyena leaped up, looking around cautiously. Nakacame flying from her den, Kura running behind her. Nakato jumped in a puddle of mud, rolling and shaking furiously, while all the hyenas gathered around to see what was happening.

"Who did this?!" Nakato roared, pacing back and forth, eying everyone. "Who put scorpions in my nest? I've never had it before so who did it!"

Everyone was silent.

She whipped around to her daughter. "Mother! I would never!" Shock appeared on her face and she looked hurt.

"So you can be next matriarch, eh?" She growled.

"No! I swear!" Kura whimpered.

"I'm watching you, daughter." She growled then whipped away. Everyone eyed everyone suspiciously, anxious who it was.

While the other hyenas left, I bravely walked over to Kura who was wounded mentally. "I know it wasn't you." I lowered my voice. "I'm going to find out who it was."

Kura looked at me happily, hope sparkling in her eyes.

...

After that, things only got worse. One day Kura smelled something wrong with the food her mother was about to eat and saved her. Nakato response was: "you wouldn't know if it was poisoned if you didn't do it, murderer!"

After that, more scorpions and then while Nakato was out alone, someone in the cliffs tried to throw rocks and roll boulders on her. She barley escaped.

I tried my best to catch them. Whoever it was, was smart.

I went to Kura with my daily update on the crimes. "I couldn't find any tracks, and no scent of anything!"

"Ok, thank you, Mbali..." she said sadly.

I turned to leave but she called me. I turned around. "Mbali, third matriarch."

It took me a while to process it but I wagged my tail. "Thank you!" I beamed then ran off. I knew it too. I had to hurry or we all knew it. Nakato was going to kill her daughter.

I skidded to a halt in my tracks. I was expecting! (Getting close too). I couldn't move up until the birth of my cubs or I'd have to be sent all the way back! I would have to start over! Maybe not and I'd remain in Lesedi forever!

I shook with fear but I could let that stop me. I could figure something out. Good thing I had told no one but Iyo about my pregnancy. It was staring to show and once others pointed it out, I said I had a big lunch.

I had to do something and time was running out.