16

Two moons had passed and everything was back to normal now. Well almost. Some hyenas were afraid of me while others were just shy. While my time in the Healers den, I got to lean all the names of the hyenas.

Iyo would stay there day and night, talking to me and soothing me down. It wasn't long before I took him as my mate. I love Iyo and he loves me.

I constantly worried about Ellone. She was getting worse and worse each passing day. One day she died, either having a seizure or dying from blood loss. I felt horrible but Iyo comforted me.

I was released long after Ellone's death and even went to her burial I felt that bad. I couldn't believe I killed a hyena. I felt like a murderer. But I won fair and square.

...

"Mbali?" Kura's voice sounded. I turned around and saw the beta and dipped my head in respect. "Do you and Iyo want to come with my patrol to visit the Sakai tribe?"

"Absolutely!" I wagged my tail.

The seven of us set off soon, and I bounced at Iyo's side, excited to see their camp. "What do you think it's like?"

"What?" He let out a small laugh.

"What do you think Sekai is like? Who's the beta? Who is it like? What's their camp like?!" I spilled out questions and all he could say was:

"I dunno" with a shrug.

...

It turned out the Sekai camp was very similar to home but it was massive! Giant legged were everywhere with dens big energy for everyone to not sleep outside. And in the middle was a massive clearing with a ginormous rock. I gasped at the sight and stared in awe.

"You guys can look around. I have to talk with the leaders." Kura said and trotted off, head and tail low. It was so weird, thinking that your own beta was a stranger and lower than everyone here.

"Mbali?" Kuron's voice was surprised. I whipped around and saw the large male with striking blue eyes appeared from the crowd. "You keep popping up."

"I know right." I smirked and felt Iyo brush against my pelt. I could feel slight jealousy tingling from him but it wasn't strong.

"This your littermate?" He eyed Iyo curiously, sniffing at him.

Iyo drew back disgusted. "No, weirdo! I'm her mate."

Kuron grunted, giving a mischievous smile. "I know. I just wanted to see your reaction."

Kuron and I both laughed, Iyo was not, anger and embarrassment bounded off him. I stopped laughing when he announced he was going to find another one of our friends. Kuron stared after him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean—"

"It's fine." I flicked my tail turning after him. "He forgives easily. Besides. I know something that will cheer him up." I padded after my mate—my one and only.

...

After the meeting—that lasted all day— we returned home. The stars were in the sky, shining down on us. Iyo still looked frustrated.

"Iyo." I whispered. He turned to me, looking tired but his eyes bright, "I wanted to wait for this but you still seem upset." I slowed down, Iyo matching my pace.

"I'm not upset. Just tired." Curiosity burned on his scent now. "Did you need to tell me something?"

I nodded my head, watching my paws in front of me. "I'm expecting cubs."

Iyo stopped completely and I stoped beside him. His eyes were shining bright and he looked happy as ever.