9

The days passed slowly. I kept trying to do things to get recognized so I could move up but it was harder, like Abena warned. I got to learn every name in the tribe. There were a lot more than Lesedi's tribe. I soon found my friends in the tribe; Bee, Jenue, and Iyo, while my enemy remained Ellone. I had to eat last again, some days I didn't get to eat at all.

I decided to visit the matriarch and beta. I learned that befriending the leaders would help a lot to move up ranks.

I approached them and dipped my head.

"Mbali!" Nakato smiled, and crossed her paws delicately. The beta, Kura was right beside her. They looked a lot a like and I guessed it was her daughter. "How may I help you?"

"What can I do for you to help me move up in the ranks?" I asked softly.

Both of their eyes glittered happily. "It's a hard choice but if you want to move up, you have to select a hyena one level above you and you have to fight. And if the person that started the fight wins, they move up and the looser moves down. But if you loose, you stay in that rank forever."

Kura's words shook me. If I lost, i would be stuck in first matriarch forever and I could say bye to my dreams that were now slowly coming a reality. "How long do I have?"

"Tell us when you're ready. But the other hyena has to agree." Nakato replied.

"Thank you." I said and turned away, scanning the crowd, seeing who I would have in mind to fight.

I saw Iyo and ran over to him. He was chewing on a bone. "Iyo! I'm fighting someone to move up ranks!" I whispered. He looked to the side, uneasy. I laughed, "don't worry, it's not you. I wouldn't do that to you."

He spat out the bone. "What is that supposed to mean?" He growled challengingly.

"We both know I'm a better fighter than you." I snorted.

He leaped up. "Alright then."

I followed him outside the trench where the grass wasn't tall and we could see each other. "Fight me." He said, getting in a defensive position.

I barked and leaped at him, aiming to grab his tail but he whipped to the side and head butted me to the ground.

I leaped up, snarling and threw myself at him again. He stuck out his paw and I tripped, sending a cloud of dust in my face. I coughed and sat up.

I turned on him. He was perfectly still. Not a hair raised. "Ok then. Not bad. You try me." I got into a defensive position.

He lunged at me unexpectedly and butted me to the ground. I tried to scramble up but he placed a paw on my shoulder. "Would you like me to teach you?"

I struggled and tried to get away from his grip but he placed two paws on me and I gave up struggling and sighed, "yes..." I said defeated.