Chapter 6

-Are you sure? – he asked.

-Yeah – I threw, while eating a sandwich. Sandwiches are fascinating form of breakfast and I discovered them right here, in Valhalla. – I prefer the prophecy to be talking about the battle in Valhalla, not in the Midgard.

-But, you will die, are you ready for this? – asked TJ, who was niggling me since I woke up.

-Yes I am! – I sapped finally. – And Thomas, please stop bothering me!

He nodded and came back to his breakfast. Everybody else from our table were giggling while looking at us. I sighed and pulled out my dagger. It was blunt but I didn't have other weapon. It had to be enough for today battle.

-Dragons... Yeah, of course, it's today – sighed Magnus.

There were several bony creatures on the battlefield. I was waiting for someone who could explain me what's with the dragons, but no one seemed to want to talk about it.

-So, Let's...! – started TJ.

-NOT THE HILL AGAING, TJ! – shouted Mallory, cutting him.

-Oh, yeah... - he laughed embarrassed.

-Just focus on the closest dragon – proposed Magnus.

-Oh, dear, you remember? – started Alex. He was male today. – I cut your head on dragons' day.

-Yeah, I remember – sighed Magnus. – With garrote.

-As always – He smiled widely.

-Ok guys, let's kill some dragons! – shouted Halfborn and ripped his T-shirt.

I clenched my fists on daggers and swallowed with trouble.

-Hey, you died once, yeah? – asked TJ. – It will be faster here – he comforted me.

-Yeah, that's uplifting – I laughed frantically.

-It's for us to dispose of the fear of death – he explained. – So you have to meet the death face to face few times.

-Ok, I'll try – I nodded and we joined the group.

No way I could face the dragons without shaking my legs. They were huge and so... bony. You know, I have a fear of bony things like skeletons and... bony dragons.

-Hey, stinker! – shouted Halfborn to the closest dragon. – Come and get me!

The monster roared and turned to him, giving us room for manoeuvre. TJ stopped to zero the bayonet on it. Mallory and I planned to surround the dragon and Alex said he would jump on its neck. Magnus stood next to TJ with Jack in case of shielding the shooter. Well, the plan was good. The realization was worse.

The dragon noticed Mallory and a flame came out from the monster's mouth, burning ginger girl down.

-You'll pay for this! – snapped Halfborn and cut his leg with the axe.

Meanwhile, Alex jumped at the dragon and now the creature was rocking him on its back. The dragon was roaring and shooting the fire everywhere. I dodged few times and peeked at TJ, who was giving shot by shot in incredible speed for the bayonet.

It were seconds between I saw the other dragon behind him and ran to him, shouting:

-TJ watch out!

He turned around surprised, but it was too late to dodge the fire. But not for me. I called the god's power and jumped forward like a lightning, bulldozing TJ on the ground few meters away. Unlucky for me, I got caught in the fire.

-Yuki! – he shouted, watching me burn.

If you want to know, how it is, when you're dying in flame... It's kinda unpleasant.

I landed in a forest and somehow I knew it was a dream. When I turned around I saw white man. I'm not only talking about his skin, but also hair, clothes and foxy ears... Only his irises were yellow with vertical pupil. Even if I haven't met him before, I knew who he was.

-Father? – I whined doubtfully. – What are you doing here?

-I'm here to apologize you, my dear. – His voice was soft and seemed to tuck you with a fur. – I didn't manage to take you before the Valkyrie's girl.

-So it's true? – I asked. – I can't leave the Valhalla? I won't be able to see you and mom?

-There is the way – he said and I felt hope rising in my heart. – You have to die again in humans' world and then I will catch your soul...

-But are you sure? What if you won't catch me and I fade? – I noticed with fear.

-There were earlier cases – said my father with a smile. – But I would suggest you to think about it.

-What?! Why?! – I shouted.

-It's right that you will be living with us, but... - he stopped. – Are you sure, you won't be regret it?

-Why could I? – I asked huff.

-Maybe you will play an important role in future events... - he said mysteriously.

-What events? – I frowned.

-I can't tell you – he cut sadly. – It would destroy the fate.

-I don't believe in fate...

-You should, my dear – intimated my father. – Take your time Yuki, you're alive again. Take a chance.

After these words he faded along with the forest and I woke up on the floor of my room. I sprang out of bed and checked my skin. It didn't have any burn marks or scratches.

The talk with my father was going around in my head all afternoon. I couldn't find the cause why would I deny living in the Spiritual World. As a demigod, I would get a place in my father's house and I wouldn't be bound to do the god's work unlike to the other souls. I trusted my father even if he left me on the streets. There just wasn't another way, when my mother died. So I would trust my soul to him and believe he will catch it after death. There wouldn't be next Valkyrie, who would take me from him. Now I just had to find the way to get to the Midgard.

Knocking on my door pulled me out from my thoughts and I went to check who was bothering me right before the feast.

-Oh, you're up. That's a relief – sighed TJ, smiling. – I came to thank you for the rescue back in the battlefield.

-How did you die? – I asked with crooked smile.

-Well, I was eaten – he laughed embarrassed. – But I appreciate your sacrifice.

-I wasn't thinking – I sighed. – I forgot that hardly anyone survives the battle, so there's no point in sacrificing for somebody...

-Well, here, yes – grinned TJ. – But in the Midgard...

He stopped and looked at his shoes. He forgot that in the Midgard I would truly die.

-Ok then, see ya at the dinner – he threw and went by corridor to his room.

-See you later – I answered and closed the door to prepare myself for the feast.

---end of chapter 6