Chapter 18

-So... there we are – sighed Annabeth when all group went into labyrinth.

-Why everything bad must happen in this place... – whined Percy.

-Nico, are you sensing something? – she asked, ignoring her boyfriend.

-Well... - began Nico. – Something strange, if you want to know. But I don't know what exactly it is...

I smelled the air, closing eyes. The monsters were still in the labyrinth but pretty far.

-The area is clear here – I said. – Monsters backed up.

-How big are the chances that they're meeting with their boss? – asked Alex.

-If they are moving within labyrinth, they must have somebody like guide – said Annabeth. – It's not original labyrinth, so I don't think it's human, but common monster doesn't know how to find the way – she explained. – So, kinda high.

-Let's do some spying! – proposed Percy and went in a corridor.

-Um... Percy? – I began and he stopped turning to me. – I think monsters are that way – I pointed the other way.

-Eeeh... right – he giggled.

We walked by tunnels with me and Nico guiding on the front. After some time, Sam lined up to me and asked whispering:

-What did happen with you and TJ? Alex didn't want to say anything...

-It's nothing, we just... - I stopped and sighed. – He needs some... time.

-And you?

-Me? – I asked amused.

-We heard you guys were shouting, that's why Alex went to check you... I'm asking how are you feeling – she smiled to me.

-Not really bad, I think – I sighed. – Maybe a little hurt.

The truth was... I pushed down the feelings to not fracture myself. I did it rarely because to sense someone's feelings I had to have my own at the surface. But I learned something on the streets of Tokyo... You should help the others but if one of them handicaps you in surviving, cut him off. I didn't plan to yield to Thomas only for us to stay together, oh no.

-Wait... - murmured Nico, pulling me out from my thoughts.

-What is it? – I asked, smelling the air and something hit me. – This smell...

-What's wrong? Say something! – sighed Alex.

-Like in our tunnel – I said to Nico and he nodded.

-It's hard to explain how I'm telling the tunnels apart, but... - he said and went near the wall with his hand on it.

Nico stopped and pushed a brick in the wall. The door opened before us.

-It's... - I began. – It's our tunnel...

-Are you sure? – asked Annabeth worried.

-Yeah... - murmured Nico and looked at his shoes. – They heard everything then.

-What? – gasped Sam. – But you would notice someone in the tunnel, right? When you were using it!

-Sam... Remember we are probably fighting with a mage – noticed Annabeth. – If our tunnel is connected to labyrinth, he could hear our actions somehow.

-Fuck, it was too risky... - sighed Nico. – But I was so sure of my skills...

-It's not your fault – I told him, stroking his back. – Me too... I should have notice something...