Chapter 6

Merry's small sword collides with Eowyn's. Out of the Hall they practise and I sit on the steps to watch. Merry ducks while Eowyn's sword slices through the air.

He manages to nick her hand, just like Boromir did to Pippin at the start of the quest. It seems like forever since those black birds came out of nowhere while the two hobbits were trying to practise with their swords. That was the very first challenge the Fellowship faced.

"Hey!", Eowyn yells in shock.

Merry takes the opportunity to take the blade out of her hand with a flick of his little sword.

"I win!", Merry cries in excitement.

"Well you hurt me-", Eowyn stops mid-sentence, noticing how weak her point sounds.

"Merry did win his first practise duel." I say, "Cleverly a swell. Doing what the enemy least expects. You thought a hobbit wouldn't hurt you."

"I guess so, but I won't underestimate hobbits again. Especially you Merriadoc Brandybuck.", she answers, smiling.

"Sorry Lady Eowyn.", Merry bows his head at being called his full name.

"No it is fine!" Eowyn assures, "You did win."

"Can you and Amber fight now?", he asks.

"What do you say Amber?" Eowyn turns to me, "Up for the challenge?"

"Avo garo am man theled?", I smile slyly, advancing on her.
(Why not)

She makes the first attack when I am in range. I take my sword out just in time to block her blade. The echoing sound of metal against metal rings in my ears. I roll to the side as she swings her sword again and I deflect the blow. We continue like this for a while. When Eowyn blocks my attack again she says,

"I see the way Legolas looks when you do not notice..."

"Lle lakwenien?" I roll my eyes, "I am only a friend to him."
(Your joking)

While the grip on my handle loosens, she pushes the sword out of my hands. Merry starts to clap in the background.

"Eowyn!", I exclaim in surprise.

"I win.", she says innocently.

"I cannot believe it.", I mutter.

"Well it was easy, do what your enemy least expects.", she repeats my words.

"Using my own words against me. Very wise." I praise her, "Well done Eowyn."

"Want a rematch?", she fails to keep a straight face.

"Of course.", I grab my sword from the ground and strike one handed.

She doges my attacks and for a solid 3 minutes we fight.

"If Legolas only sees you as a friend, then do you view him as something more?", she says to get me of guard again.

"Did I mention the other part?" I say, as her sword heads toward me, "Do not let the enemy throw you off."

I jump away from her blade and continue,

"And Legolas is only a mellon to me."

Eowyn smirks as I make the next move.

"Have you got your eye on anyone?", I say to distract her.

She freezes for a second, just enough time for me to disarm her. I smirk now.

"Great job Amber.", she smiles a real smile.

I can't help but actually smile back. Close to the mountain tops I see fire. The signal. After days, the Beacon is finally lit. Aragorn runs by and I sprint with him into the Hall. King Theoden speaks to his men when we burst in. They all turn and stare at us.

"The Beacons of Minas Tirith!' Aragorn says breathless, "The Beacons are lit. Gondor calls for aid!"

"What will you do?", I ask the King.

The Hall is dead silent, Theoden pondering over the news.

"Rohan will answer!" he announces, "Muster the Rohirrim."

A soldier helps Theoden with his armor. The alarm bell is heard and the sound of orders come into the Hall.

"Let's go to the stables.", Aragorn suggests.

As we walk down, I catch a little of Theoden and Eomer's conversation.

"Assemble the army at Dunharrow, as many men as can be found. You have two days. On the third, we ride for war."

Aragorn let's out Brego once we reach the stables and I get Thalion. Eowyn comes in and secures supplies on Hasufel.

"You ride with us?", Aragorn asks her as we exit.

"Just to the encampment." Eowyn explains, "It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men."

Aragorn reaches over and lifts up a blanket from Eowyn's bags. A sword gleams under the saddle. She covers the sword back in one movement. I wink at her as I leave, and find Gimli and Legolas on Arod. I mount Thalion and listen to them.

"I wish I could muster a legion of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy.", Gimli says.

"Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war. I fear war already marches on their own land.", Legolas says grim.

"Even my home Lothlorien is under assault." I speak, "War is everywhere now."

We trot close to the front. I see Merry kick his pony, but it doesn't budge. After the fifth attempt, his pony comes racing toward us.

"Woah!", Merry cries.

"Stay by me." I tell him, "I will make sure your pony listens."

"Thanks.", he turns red from embarrassment.

"Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken!" Eomer rallies, "Now, fufill them all!"

We begin the ride to Dunharrow, the first step of the war.

-------------------------------------

Avo garo am man theled: Why not

Lle lakwenien: Are you joking

Mellon: Friend

~Talia Spirit