Chapter 16

Chapter 16 

The baby noises and sudden poking on my back woke me up. “It’s your turn” Aaron mumbled. “This is the third day home and it’s already my turn?” I chuckled. I stood up in bed and started to jump. He quickly grabbed me and pulled me down in bed. “That’s what you get for trying to be funny” I said and his arms were around me. There was no other place that felt safer and better than in his arms. The only noise in the room was Olivia. The low noises of her kicking the blanket off or losing the pacifier was noises I could listen to all day long. “Aaron?” I whispered. I looked up at him and his eyes were closed. I pushed him to try to wake him up but he turned around and kept on sleeping. “If that’s what you want okay” I said getting out of bed. I picked Olivia up and walked out of the bedroom.

I sat down in the sofa. Olivia laid perfectly in my arms waiting to get breastfed. “Yes, you are so adorable” I whispered to her. “One day you’ll start walking and talking and we are going to be so proud of you. You know that? Just think of the day you will be running around in an Arsenal jersey with the letters dad 16 on the back. Your dad is going to be so proud of you. The first day you’re going to school, you’re going to be so cute and charm all the boys. I’m sure Jack wants you to be Archie’s girlfriend so you have to watch out for him. Or maybe Archie is going to be acting like your big brother who would be so kind and look after you?” I kept on talking to her that I almost didn’t notice that she was done feeding. I packed up and put her onto my shoulder patting her back so that she could burp.

 “And your father is going to be so protective over you, he already is. Surely he will make a mess out of everything for you but you know, men, I think he means well” I said walking towards the bedroom. “Look at daddy, he’s sleeping. One day you’ll be kicking the ball around the garden with him” I said having a picture in my head of Olivia and Aaron playing football in the backyard of a red brick house with big white windows. I laid her down in the crib again as the clock on the nightstand said 5.30. ? It was too early to get up now. I felt a tickling feeling in my throat but it was just a cough. After all it was nearly winter and the time for everyone to get the cold. I couldn’t have got it. Could I? I crawled back into bed with Aaron and he wrapped his arms around me. Everything was perfect.

LATER THAT DAY
“Aaron” I shouted and at the same time I was aware that I shouldn’t have done it. Aaron shushed at me as he entered the kitchen. “It isn’t just you and me here anymore. I put Olivia down to sleep in her crib.” “Do you want a dad of the year award for that?” I laughed. He smiled a boyish grin, the same smile that had been on his face for days now. “Julie and Jack are coming over.” “Like right now?” “Julie couldn’t visit us at the hospital. She had that away game that I told you about.” “Oh that game. Didn’t she score the winning goal?” 
“She scored two goals actually.” 
“That’s great but I guess she’s pretty jealous.” 
“Jealous? What do you mean about that?”
“I mean that Jack have probably talked about meeting Olivia before Julie.”
“He hasn’t met Olivia yet” I said shocked. 
“He came to the hospital, when you were sleeping.”
“Why didn’t you wake me up?” I asked a bit angry actually. 
“Because you were tired, so I let you sleep and also you look so cute when you’re sleeping.”
“So you do watch me sleep?” I laughed.

He smiled and laid his arms around me letting my question fade away. Aaron kissed me softly on the lips and I returned it. “Wouldn’t it be fun if Olivia had someone to grow up and play with?” he whispered close to my mouth.  I looked at him. His smile hadn’t disappeared. “Three days ago I pushed a watermelon out of my hooha or whatever you want to call it and you want me to go through it again in nine months?” The look on his face told me hadn’t thought it through but a small smile showed. “Ehm yes.”