Chapter 24

Paris's POV

Flashback to last year

Veronica and I were getting ready for her birthday party. "Hey girl, which do you think is better? A or B?" She held up two dresses for me to look at:

 "Hey girl, which do you think is better? A or B?" She held up two dresses for me to look at:

I looked at each for a little while before giving her an answer, "Oh wow, uhm

I looked at each for a little while before giving her an answer, "Oh wow, uhm....I don't really know but....I think the blue one. Afterall, Blue is a good color on you."  She looked up and smiled at me, "Thanks girl! I gotta go get changed." While she went to change I picked out my own outfit from my bag (as I was staying at her house at the time). 

We both got our hair and makeup done and headed downstairs so Veronica could greet guests

We both got our hair and makeup done and headed downstairs so Veronica could greet guests. Her house was pretty big, seeing as she was the mayor's daughter; much bigger than anything I've ever stepped in. The  walk-in alone was like a grand hotel lobby. With gold lining along the white walls and a chandelier hanging from the roof. The steps to the first balcony were a bit curved upwards and everything just looked "fit for a queen."  Which in all honesty, was what Veronica is.

The decorations were outstanding. She spared no expense on that cake. Maids and workers were scurrying to get food and chairs for guests, it was like a mini wedding. Oh who am I kidding? A wedding wouldn't even be as big as this party. Veronica really had it all; the house, the money, the cars.....every girl in school wanted to be like her. Or at least, one tenth of what she is. That is, every girl except me. I really had no interest in Veronica;s money. I knew her before her father was elected mayor.

She was never so stubborn or bossy or as stuck up as she is now. She's nice to me and that's why I stick around, but everyone else seems more.....afraid of her. Which I don't blame them for. She uses her father's power as the Mayor to put people in trouble, and get whatever she wants. I once tried to talk her out of it; to get my friend back. But f course she shunned me. I had to apologize for being "right" before she could allow me back into her "friendship circle. Which at the time was just me and her. 

I walked down the stairs and went outside to look  for anyone else that would be willing to talk to me. I saw Luka come in  through the door and smiled at him. "Of course your here." He playfully glared at me; it was no secret that Veronica had a thing for Luka. Unfortunately, Luka did not feel the same way. Buuut.....she still tried to force herself on him at times, and Luka didn't really find that attractive. 

"Yeah, she invited me. And it's a party so why wouldn't I come?"  We walked  to the backyard were there were even more decorations. Veronica was standing on a stage-like platform basking in all the attention she was receiving from her guests. "I still feel kinda off though , her parents don't know. I mean....she's meant to be grounded." Luka turned to me and siged, "Part of the reason I didn't wanna show up. I tried telling her it wasn't a good idea. But of course she didn't listen to me."

The party went on for a couple of hours and well into the night. People got suuuuper drunk and things started to get a little crazy. Which was expected of a bunch of high school students. But tonight was a bit different. The noise coming out from the house was enough to wake the whole neighborhood up. I knew people would complain, so I went outside to check for cops. Lukily there were none. But I guess I spoke too soon.

"Hello Miss." A woman in her pajamas called out to me. "Whose party is this?" I turned around to face her; she was tan in complexion, with dark brown hair and brown eyes. She wore glasses that made her look like a librarian, and she looked like she was in her mid 30's or early 40's. I gulped and began to speak, "Uh...Veronica's party?" From behind her popped out two police cars; the officers and dogs inside them came out and joined the woman  in front of me. "You mean the mayor's daughter?  But I thought he and his wife went on a trip." I turned around and looked back at the house to see some people staring at us. One of the cops, by the name of Rodgers, walked up to me  and pointed to the house, "So you mean the mayor's not around?" I shook my head and looked down at the ground. I am in so much trouble.

"Oh well," Rodgers spoke, "c'mon boys, let's go." They walked into the house and the music died down. People started coming outside and giving me annoyed glances. I ran back inside to see the officers talking to Veronica about how they were going to tell her father. The poor girl was begging them not to; but they're officers of he law.....she knew she was in trouble. By this time, Luka was nowhere to be found so I suspected he went home early.  Officer Rodgers finally left Veronica alone and she stared at me, with a very angry expression on her face.

"Why would you tell them!?" I looked at her in shock, "I didn't say anything V! I don't know how they found ou..." "Oh spare me the lame excuses!" she interrupted me, "you ruined my birthday party! Now they're gonna tell my dad! Look what you did!" With that , she stomped upstairs and left me alone with a crowd of angry people.