Chapter 30

In America

Marionette's POV

Central Park (like the Eiffel Tower back home) is the best place for me to gather inspiration for new designs, and get some fresh air. The cool breeze blew through my hair as I watched the sun set for the day and the moon slowly rise. I took in a deep breath and let it out, allowing the scenery around me sink in. As I opened my eyes, I saw Luka riding his bike around the park trail; guess he loves the evening breeze too. He saw me too and I waved at him as he rode closer to where I was sitting. "Hey Luka," I said, "enjoying the sunset?" We both looked toward the sun as he replied, "Haha, yeah a little. You?" He looked down at my sketchpad and gasped, "Wow Mari! These look great!" he said as he took the sketches from me and held them closer so he could see.

"Hehe, thanks..." I said with a nervous smile on my face. "Your going to win that design competition for sure." he said enthusiastically. I looked up at him with a smile and he smiled back. Wow...he's so cute! Wait...what? Mari knock if off don't think that! My face slowly started to turn bright red and poor Luka looked confused. "Mari," he said, "are you okay?" I looked at him, my face even redder then before, before replying, "Huh? Uhhh...oh yeah! I'm fine! Totally and completely fine. I'll see you at school tomorrow." Before he could ask anymore questions I grabbed my sketchpad out of his hands and proceeded to turn away and go home.  "Wait!" he said as he grabbed my arm, "Uh...uhm....I was wondering. If your not busy later....would you...uhhhhh.....liketogoonadatewithme?!!!"

I looked at him wide eyed......yes I understood what he said. But I didn't think he was interested in me. In fact I thought he and Veronica were a thing. But I guess not. I thought for a moment before answering him, should I? He is really cute, with a nice personality....and Paris did mention something once about him having a tiny crush on me, but I didn't think much of it...until now. I smiled at him and responded, "Sure Luka." His nervous expression turned into a huge smile, "Okay..uh...great! I'll pick you up later." With that, he turned around and left into the city. I smiled at him and sat back down for a second to enjoy what was left of the sunset. But my satisfaction only lasted for a few minutes; wait, I thought, what am I going to wear? I jolted up from the bench as my senses began to come back into focus, the old lady who took Luka's place right beside me looked at me like I was insane. I gave her a wonky smile and ran out of the park with my design book in hand. I knew I would need help getting ready as Luka is probably on his way home by now.

ring ring ring 

Paris: Hey girl! What's up?

Mari: Oh Paris! Thank God, Luka just asked me out and I have no idea what to wear!

Paris: *chuckles* I'm aware, hurry up and get here, I'm in your living room.

Mari: Okay! On my way!

There was something else she wanted to tell me but I cut the call before she could finish. Something about bringing a friend over...? Well I guess I'll figure it out when I get there.

Vera's POV

What Mackenzie and Veronica are up to is wrong and deceitful, just like them. But I cant say anything because I'm sure no one will believe me. Anyways that's always how it is; Veronica and Mackenzie make all the plans and I just execute them. But sometimes it gets so boring and lonely. I mean hanging out with those two costs me years of making new, more sympathetic friends. I guess back then I always just thought that the only person's opinion that mattered to me was Veronica's. I mean, she and I have always been friends even before Mackenzie showed up. Her family and mine have always been good friends, so naturally she and I became close. 

But sometimes she does get out of hand. Back when she and Paris were friends, she threw this great huge party while her parents were out of town and it got busted. Everyone though Paris called the cops and it let to the poor girl becoming an outcast, courtesy of Veronica. I tried explaining to her that Paris couldn't have done such a thing and maybe we were just being too loud but of course she wouldn't listen. I tried so many times to apologize to Paris on her behalf but I knew it wouldn't sink in the same. Maybe I should distance myself from those two for a while, I thought, I really need a new friend group. I walked past Paris's house to see her squealing and jumping up and down in front of Luka. What's going on Why is she so happy?