Chapter 1: AWAKE 1/2

GLIMMER

GLIMMER

"Glimmer!" Tam's voice called from her imparter screen.

It was 4 AM.
Not that Tam's hail had woken her, though.
Glimmer didn't get that much sleep anyways.

"Good morning to you too," She grumbled, voice still in a sleepy haze.
She kept the screen angled away from her face. Nobody could know what she looked like.
Nobody except..
"KEEFE'S AWAKE,"
The imparter dropped to the ground.

Keefe.

Keefe was awake.
Every time Glimmer closed her eyes, the same scene played out in her head.

Keefe, strapped to the magsidian throne, face twisted in agony as the darkness caved in.

But that wasn't the part of the scene that had her waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.

Glimmer, hands raised as her powerful, bright beams of slight slammed into Keefe's writhing form.

She thought what she was doing was right.
Telling herself, It's ok, Glimmer, your light will save him. Your light is good.

Her light wasn't good.
The power bubbling in her palms had left Keefe in a heap on the ground, pale, sweaty, and broken.
His eyes stared lifelessly up at the ceiling. It was when her eyes finally saw the mess Gisela had created that she knew Tam was right.

She was a fool.

Glimmer, unlike Tam, wasn't bound and forced to obey Lady Gisela's commands. No, her addition to the ruthless torture was not forced; rather enforced by an entirely different form of mind control.

By the pain it felt to be burned by her own power against her will.

By the scorn and hate and slaps and stings.

To feel like nothing.

Nothing but a pet.
A fake. A fraud.
Only one person before Tam made her feel like more than a pet when she lived in hiding thousands of miles underground.

But she couldn't force herself to utter his name.
Much less even think about him.

If anyone knew who hid behind the darkness of the hood of her cloak, she'd surely be locked away. Left to rot for the rest of eternity. Probably with a broken mind. She imagined herself rotting in one of those tiny cells in Exile, drooling and muttering incoherent nonsense. But she'd deserve it.

Glimmer would face that soon enough. It was better than going back to being Gisela's Little Puppet.

But not before he finally got to see her face.
Get to know her name.
Not before she told him the words she'd kept hidden with her existence her entire life.

Glimmer picked up the imparter off the floor.

"I'm on my way."