Chapter 4: GOOD INTENSIONS

GLIMMER~

GLIMMER
~

She watched his eyes slowly go back into focus.
"Woah," Keefe breathed, running his hand through his sweaty blonde hair.
"I wasn't expecting that."
Glimmer nodded once before silently going to sit at the edge of the cot.

"So.. how long has Mommy Dearest been getting you to play good cop?"

She winced at that.
It still hurt, knowing her life had all been a big game.

"She told me about you every day since I joined. Brought your drawings that you had thrown away to my hideout and told me to study them. She told me I needed to know you like the back of my hand."
Glimmer explained, wondering how he would take in that information.
Keefe stayed quiet, so she continued.

"I was enrolled in Foxfire and monitored your classes-,"

"So I've seen you before, then?" Keefe interrupted.
Glimmer nodded. She found it shocking that he wasn't dumbfounded that Gisela had orchestrated so much spying throughout his life.
Then again, the woman had done much more disturbing things...

"I had a disguise, though, so I don't look nearly the same as the girl you've seen."
"What name did you go by?"
Glimmer smiled.
"Not my real one, but I had the teachers call me Nevaeh."

Keefe's eyebrows puckered like he was thinking.
Then he clapped his hands together.
"Ohh, you're that one girl that got me the key to Lady Belva's room when I filled it with gulons!"
Keefe proudly proclaimed.

Glimmer hoped he would remember that.
Remember that she had been rooting for him, behind the scenes.

"How did you do that?" Keefe asked.
"Oh, well I had a conversation with her about how much I appreciated having her as the detention mentor because her idea of ballroom dancing as a punishment taught us to be classy and to have good manners. Then I flattered her with remarks about how impressive her dancing skills with you were. She took that well and pulled me into a hug and I pickpocketed the key."

Keefe raised an eyebrow.
"Dang, Miss Secrets. For someone with such a sparky code name, you sure are cunning. Though I don't think the dance move compliments were really needed."

"No, I agree- it was just so much fun to watch you dip our The Universe mentor every Wednesday." Glimmer said with a devilish grin.
Keefe blew out a breathe as he leaned back against the bed frame, arms stretched across the sides.

"I guess I had someone looking out for me after all."

He did.
She wanted him to know that.
But her supposedly good intentions didn't nearly right her other wrongs.
"I have many other things to tell you. But right now isn't the time."
Keefe looked at her for a long minute.
And, to his surprise, he croaked, "Thank you,"
Glimmer wanted to reject the sentiment.
She just nodded instead.

Glimmer stood up slowly and reached for her cloak.
But before she could grab it, a hand reached down and snatched it.
The next the Glimmer knew, somebody grabbed her shoulder and forcefully turned her around.
DON'T LET THEM SEE YOUR EYES!
She thought through the wave of panic.

Glimmer barely got a glimpse of the teal eyes searching for her face before she tackled the boy to the ground and pinned him underneath her.